Thread: 200ho g2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

200ho g2

How clse does the 200 HO get to an older 225 Merc Optimax? Told by a sales person they are very close. Not that that person would provide bad info but 20k + begs accuracy.

2. Member
    Think they are allowed 10%
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

The 200 HO will come close to 220 hp.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. Member
    I can’t compare to a Merc but I’m replacing my Ficth 225 with a G2 200HO. I’ll probably have results next week. I’m hoping that it is close to the 220hp claim.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    From what I've seen of a 200 HO G2 you won't be disappointed..... The torque of the G2 is awesome!!

You will think you're running a 250 in comparison, maybe. Can't wait for your review, but why not get a 225HO
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

With the correct pitch prop and proper set up the bottom end torque will feel like a dragster launching from the line and the mid range punch will pin you to your seat. Top end will be similiar.

8. Member
    Please post the results. What size/brand boat will this be on?

I have one and its a beast. Itll turn a 28p prop no problem on an xpress where most are running 23p. It gets on plane with a 28p faster than a buddy with the exact boat with a 200sho and a 23p prop- like way faster. The power is hard to believe

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Member
    tdt91, 200 v 225 is simply money. I do have concerns about the 200 on a moderately heavy Ranger 492vs. It is 21+ in length and the boat weighs dry about 1750. Not overly heavy but a heavier hull. There is a guy here in central Texas that put a 150 on a 20' Cobra. According to him it has a good hole shot and runs wot at 55-56. Not a speed ball by any means. Obviously he did some prop work but if the HO is that strong of a motor why do I need to spend a little extra for the 225. Yes the 200 may be tasked a little harder so the gas usage may be affected. But if I can get the performance I need out of a 200 HO and save a couple of thousand or so, how much fuel will the savings buy over a period of 5 or 6 years. Sure it depends on the amount of usage of the boat and how it is driven. But at $2.50/gal that comes out to 400 gallons per thousand dollars. Now if I can get 4 miles per gallon and if I can't I shouldn't even be looking at this motor, that comes out to 1600 miles per thousand dollars saved....if my math is correct. So if I save $2500 on 200 hp that would make the savings come out to 4000 miles. That's a lot of water when it comes to fishing. So that's kind of where I'm at and why the 200 v 225. If I'm missing something on this thought process please let me know. I really don't need to run 65-70 from spot to spot. Boat traffic alone has slowed down most of us anyway. What I need is dependability in a motor. I've not gotten that from what I'm running now and I average about 1500 to 1800/year on this f-ing optimax. I've been towed in three times in all my years of fishing and I've owned a boat since 1982. Two were Mercury 225's and the other was a 50 hp Evinrude. The Evinrude turned out to be me.....the kill switch had been knocked off... pretty embarrassing.

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The 225 ho will be cruising while the 200 ho will be working a little carrying that rig......+ gas savings....pay now or later.....JMHO

Yeah, 200HO will do the job but the 225HO will do it easier. If taking a loan out what's the difference in payments between the two per month.
    I always wished I had chose a 225 when I bought my boat new. I didn't because of the 2K difference. I now feel that was stupid on my part. Anyway the 200HO I'm running now is just incredible compared to the 200 Fitch I put on it when new.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I might be in the minority here but I see no issue not getting the 225 HO. His current set-up is a 225 Opti Max. The 200 HO is tuned to push the 10% rule so its close to 220 HP. That's within single digits of what the Opti Max does. The 200 HO will feel like a torque monster on bottom end and mid range with the right prop and correct set up. As for top end it will be very close to the 225 Opti Max and I would guess it's only 2-4 mph slower than what the 225 HO would be.

I know this is comparing apples to oranges but I will use my boat as an example. It is rated for 175 HP and I ran a Ficht 150 for several years and now I run a E-TECH 150 HO. At no point in time have I felt like I was short on power. There is several boat manufacturers who make bass boats in the 18 ft range that are rated for 175 HP but the overwhelming majority have a 150 on them. I just don't see 25 HP as being underpowered to the point where either one of my 150's had to work hard for performance. I think his situation will be similar to mine. He might lose a little speed on top end but as for overall performance he will never know the difference.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I personally would go for the max rating on any boat. It's much cheaper to back off on the throttle. Then start trying to play the expensive game w props and setups to gain that few more MPH. My boats rated for a 175. Went to a 200 ho this year wish I went a 225 ho.

15. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    I personally would go for the max rating on any boat. It's much cheaper to back off on the throttle. Then start trying to play the expensive game w props and setups to gain that few more MPH. My boats rated for a 175. Went to a 200 ho this year wish I went a 225 ho.
    Why would you overpower the hull? Seems like an "insurance nightmare" waiting to happen.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

16. Member
    The 200HO G2 actually puts out about 260hp at about 4500rpms. The official measurement is made in the maximum rpm range so Evinrude pulls the power back above 5400 rpms to meet the 10% allowance. This is why i typically prop the G2s near the low eng of the RPM range.

I dont have a dyno sheet for the for the 200 but here is one for the 225 where they do the same thing.

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Why would you overpower the hull? Seems like an "insurance nightmare" waiting to happen.
    In my opinion I think the insurance company would just simply cancel if they knew the situation of being overpowered. If they don't know about I would think they have something in fine print that would release them from coverage once it came to light if a claim was filed. Again purely my opinion. I would think of it as more of a personal liability issue. If John Doe gets in an accident and it was with a person who had an overpowered boat there is the chance they can get an ambulance chasing lawyer involved. A $ hungry lawyer will seek insurance $ and if that does not work a civil suit for personal assets or $ will be filed.

Now here is the funny thing about overpowering...a hull can be rated for 250 HP an you hang a 250 HP motor but get the computer flashed, get a light fly wheel, performance reeds and various other mods to increase HP up to 300 or more and its not overpowered because its a 250 motor.

In all honesty I think the whole overpower thing is blown out of proportion. I have spent 10 plus years on this website and 30 or so years boating and not once do I recall anyone having a legal issue with overpowering. If wanted to do it I would but I chose not to.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger492vs1 View Post
    Please post the results. What size/brand boat will this be on?
    This is on a Javelin Renegade 20 Fish/Ski. It's a 20 foot boat and weighs in a little more than a traditional bass boat because of the Fish and Ski configuration. The 200HO was ready for the holiday weekend so I took it out for some fun. Hole shot is as good or better as my Ficht 225. Mid range punch is definitely better than the Ficht. Top end is yet to be determined as I think they put the wrong prop on. I ran it with a 23p Rebel prop which from I can tell is an offshore/pontoon prop. The chine walk at 60mph was getting a little crazy. I hit 63mph with RPM and throttle left but had to back out. I've requested a Raker and RX4 prop to test so we will see how that goes. No jack plate, mounted directly to the transom.

It looks damn good as well. And yes, I'm trying to get the rigging tube shortened.

aolssk.jpg

Last edited by BayouBengal; 07-08-2019 at 05:20 PM.

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    That’s sharp. Matches the boat well.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I was forthcoming with my insurance agent and checked with them before I purchased the 200. They said as long as I didnt go over 200 I was fine. If I ever have to find out if thats true I guess ill cross that bridge when it comes to it, until then im enjoying every min of my "overpowered boat"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast