2003 Yamaha hpdi 200hp

Strange problem. Sometimes when I start and go to take off it bogs down and sounds like crap. I can turn off and re-start and take off without any issues. I feel like it is only the beginning of something else. What could I be looking at?

2. Member
    Any alarms?

3. Member
    No alarms.

4. Member
    Check compression?

Woah, this sounds exactly like what my 2004 HPDI 200HP is doing. Does it act like this?

Can you give any other background information on your motor? I'm wondering what commonalities there are here.
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax
    Networked Lowrance HDS9 Gen2 Touch, HDS7 Gen2 Touch, LSS-2

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBreault View Post
    Woah, this sounds exactly like what my 2004 HPDI 200HP is doing. Does it act like this?

Can you give any other background information on your motor? I'm wondering what commonalities there are here.
    Dang man. Take it and get that fixed before you wear out the starter. That would drive me nuts.

7. Member

This is exactly what mine does. but so far it only happens once. Then fine for a while. Will see about getting you the serial numbers or what ever. Did you ever figure out what is going on?

Well, just for additional information, mine started out doing this once here and there, where it'd only require a single restart or two and then it'd run great. Then it was 2-4 restarts... then 4-8... now I'm upwards of a dozen when she acts up. There are times though that it'll fire back-to-back-to-back for hours of fishing, even moving spots frequently. It's incredibly intermittent.

I did pull codes on mine, and I'm showing an injector code 26, but that may not be as conclusive as I'd like it to be.

Unfortunately, I still haven't worked out what's wrong with mine. This is the peak of it's inconsistency though. I will keep you updated either here or over PM to see if the two issues are similar at all.

Good luck to you, and keep me posted as well on if it progress or anything, hope not though!
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax

9. Member
    Well, just for additional information, mine started out doing this once here and there, where it'd only require a single restart or two and then it'd run great. Then it was 2-4 restarts... then 4-8... now I'm upwards of a dozen when she acts up. There are times though that it'll fire back-to-back-to-back for hours of fishing, even moving spots frequently. It's incredibly intermittent.

I did pull codes on mine, and I'm showing an injector code 26, but that may not be as conclusive as I'd like it to be.

Unfortunately, I still haven't worked out what's wrong with mine. This is the peak of it's inconsistency though. I will keep you updated either here or over PM to see if the two issues are similar at all.

Good luck to you, and keep me posted as well on if it progress or anything, hope not though!
    Thanks Chris, after the 4th I will see about getting in to the shop for their take on what might be causing this to happen to the both of us. Hopefully it is something minor and is the same for you.

I have read that the switch that is on the block where the shifter cable rides will wear and if it does it will not let the other two cylinders come on line till you restart it and then only if the switch closes properly in neutral .just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter202 View Post
    I have read that the switch that is on the block where the shifter cable rides will wear and if it does it will not let the other two cylinders come on line till you restart it and then only if the switch closes properly in neutral .just a thought.
    That doesn't sound far off, at least from what I've seen with my problem. Can you go any further into detail at all by chance? My current understanding of what you're saying is that there's an additional sensor, secondary to the Neutral Shift Position Sensor, seen as part #46 here. Thank you for any additional information.
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax

12. Member
    After trading this thread.........I wonder if I can disable or "trick" this switch into thinking its cloed all the time and do away with the cylinder drop while not in gear.