2005/06 250 Pro XS Gold Block

Looking for a Peo XS for my boat. I keep seeing “sought after Gold Block”. What’s so special about the Gold Block. Apparently it was only made for a few years. Does it require Super Unleaded fuel? Does it produce more power than a regular Pro XS250?
    TIA
    Tom

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

"Gold" Block was only used on the RACING XS engine (or if someone bought a bare block casting).

The ones used in Racing were available up until the change to 87 Octane fuel (at which time BOTH the ProXS and the Racing XS blocks became painted/black).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Mercury High Performance delivered their powerheads gold irradiated, compared to black paint for consumer Mercury powerheads.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    Thanks. I have no way of having serial number is at this time since I am only speculating on my purchase. Was looking for information to see if I’m better off buying an 06 since I believe it requires 87 octane versus the 05 that I believe requires 91. If they both have the same horsepower I would rather be able to use the lower octane.

5. Member
    The 05 with higher octane produces more HP.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maineidyl View Post
    Thanks. I have no way of having serial number is at this time since I am only speculating on my purchase. Was looking for information to see if I’m better off buying an 06 since I believe it requires 87 octane versus the 05 that I believe requires 91. If they both have the same horsepower I would rather be able to use the lower octane.
    The one used in 2005, with 2005 electronics (250XS, specifically) was consistently in the 274hp range. Earlier years had the potential, but the electronics did not support the higher RPM limit.

Painted versions beginning in July 2005 required different electronics, 87 octane fuel and came in around 268 at the propshaft.

Don't intermix powerheads and electronics as the combinations may or may NOT support the fuel you think.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor