Optimax 225 low rpm miss

Hi Don,
    Got my low rpm miss back, misses just above idle to about 1000 rpm then clears right up. Last time with this issue (5-6 years ago) was an air injector on #4 I believe.
    My fuel system was recently cleaned last year (by your injector service) and 3/6 injectors replaced with new. Around 30 hours on the engine since the last fuel system cleaning.

I was going to pick up a new air injector and start playing the swap game.... is there anything I can look for to find which is the bad injector? Rather not swap a new injector around six times lol.

03 Optimax 225
    Ser# OT667018

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nick- when were the SPARK PLUGS last replaced? Month/Year, and how many engine hours since then?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    New plugs before this season so 4/2019, probably 5 hours on them. I can pull and inspect for cracks in the porcelain.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be my recommendation. Also verify gap on each plug.

Any line that runs "even remotely" lengthwise in the white porcelain (that surrounds the electrode pin) should be presumed to be a FRACTURE.

Example:

Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Make sure you pull the lower cowlings, when changing and inspecting spark plugs, or cracked insulators can occur.

6. Member
    I typically use the rubber hose method for plug #6. Removing the cowlings adds time...guess these plugs are so delicate it's worth the effort....

I'll pull plugs and report back. Thanks all for the help.

I use a rubber hose for installing all 6 plugs, less chance of stripped threads. Always remove the lower cowlings.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    I have the same issue, can you tell me what you found?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMan View Post
    I have the same issue, can you tell me what you found?
    Probably hasn't had a chance to, yet. If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to open a separate thread for your engine (providing the Required Info). Thanks!

10. Member
    Thoughts on the plug conditions? #2 and #5 look fine to me. #1& #3 have a roughly circular light spot at the top of the insulator. #4 has dark staining on one side and also a few carbon/metal flakes on the side electrode near the dimple. #6 has dark staining running lengthwise.
    Last edited by bigbasser54; 06-30-2019 at 08:51 AM.

What are the gaps like. Hard to tell from the pictures but they look bigger than .032"

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

12. Member
    Gaps were all within spec. Going to swap them all out and see if anything changes.

13. Member
    Ran it today with fresh set of plugs installed with cowl removed, misfire gone. Thanks all!