Prop for 2012 Triton Explorer 17 with 115 Optimax?

Looking for prop advice on a new to me 2012 Triton Explorer 17 with 115 Optimax. I have dual 12 ft talons on it also.

I bought it with a 21P Powertech that is not in the best shape and it over revs at WOT. Would like to start from scratch.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rtamplain; 06-24-2019 at 10:22 PM.

I would try the Spitfire X7 4 blade with that load. I cannot help with pitch though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    That's a light boat only 1100 lbs so how many rpm's can you turn that 21" prop now? You need to measure you prop to pad too to make sure it isn't set too high.

4. Member
    I can increase the rpm's until it over revs and alarms.. like 5900. Can't go wide open throttle.

Do you know what prop to pad should be? I can measure.

5. Member
    Do you have a jack plate on it or not?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Do you have a jack plate on it or not?

No, I do not have a jackplate.

7. Member
    4.25" under second hole from top is where to mount the motor without a plate. Do you know anyone who has a 21" or 23" tempest to test because the Talons will make a difference.

8. Member
    Update.. upon further review of the prop the boat came with, it is not a good pair for this setup. It is the clever style powertech that lifts the stern. This explains the overall performance. So I started over from scratch and ran a 22P laser II. I could barely get on plane. WOT was around 5200 rpm. The boat road and handled much better than with my other prop. So i was happy with prop just off on pitch. Just ordered a 20P laser II. I’ll see how it does this weekend. Hopefully it is close and I’ll just get Mark to put his magic on it if it is.
    Last edited by rtamplain; 07-02-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added info

9. Member
    4.25" under second hole from top is where to mount the motor without a plate. Do you know anyone who has a 21" or 23" tempest to test because the Talons will make a difference.
    I forgot to check which mounting hole I’m using. I’ll go check it out in a few minutes!

10. Member
    Make sure the Talons don't drag on takeoff and test your boat loaded like your going to use it.

11. Member
    Make sure the Talons don't drag on takeoff and test your boat loaded like your going to use it.

Good advice. I always test like I’m going to fish it but I’ve never paid any attention to the talons at takeoff.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtamplain View Post
    No, I do not have a jackplate.

The motor is mounted second hole from the top.. Just to make sure I'm saying this correct, there is one more bolt hole to move the motor higher if desired. I tried to measure, not fully confident in this number to be EXACT, but it is right around 4.75" center of prop shaft to bottom of pad.

Also, I ran a 20Pitch Laser ii yesterday, brand new out the box. By myself, full load, the prop performed great overall. Holeshot was decent, had good lift, handling was much better than the Powertech, and hit right at the rpm limit (between 5700-5800) at 48MPH (gps) at wide open throttle.

When I filled up the livewells with water, it struggled to get on plane. That was frustrating, I drilled out all 3 PVS plugs to the large size (1/2") and even removed one completely and it still struggled big time. I ran out of time and had to head home at that point and forgot to capture WOT RPM and speed with livewells full.