Question Carpet Champion 203 ????

What ounce carpet did they use in 2000??? thinking about redoing my original and possibly padding the front deck section...What will work the best 24 or 20 oz with padding
    Darrell Shull
    Prosperity, SC
    2021 Charger 210 Elite , 2023 Mercury V8 250 Pro XS

20 was OEM.

3. Member
    I think 24 may hold up better over time with no padding, and at least at first, it will feel really good under foot.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

^ Gonna have to shave areas around lids to make em fit tho.

5. Member
    True, I did a couple, and a couple others actually didn't need it. Maybe it's variance in hatch dimensions, don't know. A couple are pretty tough to open, probably should give them a trim.

In regard to trimming, here's a tip. If you do have to trim the sides of the lids, leave the top 1/4" long, not trimmed. I did one of my forward hatches and got it a little too close right toward the top of the hatch edge, and it's visible with a slightly wider gap than in other areas. If you trim all but the upper 1/4" on the sides, when they are shut, it will have a nice, tight look to the seams, but still open easy.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    True, I did a couple, and a couple others actually didn't need it. Maybe it's variance in hatch dimensions, don't know. A couple are pretty tough to open, probably should give them a trim.

In regard to trimming, here's a tip. If you do have to trim the sides of the lids, leave the top 1/4" long, not trimmed. I did one of my forward hatches and got it a little too close right toward the top of the hatch edge, and it's visible with a slightly wider gap than in other areas. If you trim all but the upper 1/4" on the sides, when they are shut, it will have a nice, tight look to the seams, but still open easy.
    Now that's a good tip that I haven't heard before!
    Thanks