Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Tackle storage/organizing.......help?

What utility boxes do you guys like? Is bass Mafia really all cracked up to what it is, or is the good ol
    plano 3700 the best bet. Is Plano waterproof boxes any good?

I use 3700 style boxes, have plano and falcon ones. Use a bass mafia for terminal storage.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

I'm sure that Bass Mafia boxes are nice. But, there is no way I'm spending that kind of coin on a plastic box. I only use a small Plano box for terminal tackle and it works just fine and costs under $5.00.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

The bass mafia terminal box is legit. The planos just dont hold up well to that much weight. The bass mafia deep crankbait box is cool but my 5xd's keep bouncing around in there. The 6xd's and 6th sense c20 and c25's work well in it. The other boxes are ok but kinda overrated. I stick to the 3700 style planos for everything else.

5. Member
    Mostly 3700’s here and a couple of the older Falcon boxes. I have a 3700 style Plano that is thinner than a regular 3700 that I use for terminal tackle.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Mo View Post
    Mostly 3700’s here and a couple of the older Falcon boxes. I have a 3700 style Plano that is thinner than a regular 3700 that I use for terminal tackle.
    That would be the 3701

7. Member
    My favorite Plano box is the 3771, thin custom adjustable dividers, works for hardbaits and plastics. On sale
    https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-g...away/p/1001752
    Last edited by Ben Danbleume; 06-25-2019 at 08:18 AM.

8. Member
    Thanks for all your reply’s! I appreciate it. I have a bass mafia terminal box and it’s freaking amazing I think I’m just gonna stick with that and use planos 3700’s, might try one of the bass mafia plug type boxes for whopper ploppers, few other large topwayer.

Was coming in to say that the only Bass Mafia that's worth the cost is the 3700 size black and red one. Makes the best terminal tackle box out there with all the dividers that actually keep stuff in the compartments where you put it. The terminal box I think is a nice idea, but I'm really not concerned about my weights chipping (I flame them) and you lose a ton of capacity with that set up. Past that, while the stuff is really well built, it's just asinine to pay that much for boxes in my mind. I've also had some issues with customer support getting back to me in a timely manner when my brand new 3700 had the rubber gasket cut. They eventually took care of it, but wasn't what I expected for something that costs what it does. Maybe they've gotten better as that was a couple years back.

Sounds like you've got your approach dialed in, so good luck with whatever you go with!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I specifically use the Plano Guide Series 3700 (4-23). They are made in the USA and gasketed. The comparable Bass Mafia boxes are made in China, as is many others. Just thought I would throw that out there. Can't speak about Bass Mafia's specialty boxes.

11. Member
    Planos, ziplok bags, and I go to the Dollar Tree store to the Housewares section and buy various sizes of "tupperwear" style containers, no lids to fit into various spaces. If somebody gifted me a Bass Mafia I'd use it, but not gonna spend my own money for them.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

I use Plano 3700 boxes some with the gasket and others without. For the difference in price I can buy more Plano boxes than I'll ever need. Bass Mafia boxes are nice but with the number of crankbaits I carry I'd need 3 of their crankbait boxes and with the weight and price it just doesn't make good sense. But with that said to each his own
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

13. Member
    I used the 3700 bass mafia for one year for terminal tackle. Took everything out of it this year and went to a bunch of 3449s. One box for each type of hook, one for weights, etc. Easier to leave that small box on deck, and the bass mafia was heavy to begin with. Haven't fished any tournaments this way yet, will this weekend. I'm paring down to smaller boxes. I had deep 3700s for some things (square bills, jerkbaits) but I kept reaching for the same 2-3 styles. So my jerkbaits I switched all the way to a regular 3600. Small boat means more room this way to carry a bigger variety of styles of baits.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

14. Member
    I have a few of the older Falcon terminal tackle boxes. Works for me! Not sure if they are still made though.....

15. Member
    Half my boxes are 3700 & the other half are 3701. I don't like the fancier boxes because they have too many latches and I find it annoying to always be opening and closing them all. The bass mafia boxes are nicer quality but I don't need that quality. For something that sits in my boat and holds lures I think the cheap plano boxes work just fine.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    Half my boxes are 3700 & the other half are 3701. I don't like the fancier boxes because they have too many latches and I find it annoying to always be opening and closing them all. The bass mafia boxes are nicer quality but I don't need that quality. For something that sits in my boat and holds lures I think the cheap plano boxes work just fine.
    I used to think the same way but as hard bait prices have gone up, protecting them from moisture is a sound investment.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Plano 3660 boxes form Walmart @ $2.79 ea. And some LTB boxes and a few large Plano's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    I just received the new BattleBox from Cal Coast for terminal tackle. I haven't used it yet but my intended purpose is longer term storage for back up and less frequently used items. I'm a tournament guy so I need quicker access to the more routine items than I think the bottles with stoppers will allow. My thought right now is to stick with the 3600/3700 gasketed Plano boxes for the quick access items. I may use the Cal Coast and be pleasantly surprised however.

A tip for the Plano boxes is to glue shelf liner material on top to prevent hooks or small items from creeping across compartments.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    My favorite Plano box is the 3771, thin custom adjustable dividers, works for hardbaits and plastics. On sale
    https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-g...away/p/1001752
    These are absolutely the best. You can fit more baits per box and fit them in super tight so they don’t get all beat up. They are also thinner.

20. Member
    IMO, the Bass Mafia terminal box is incredible and well worth the money. The regular 3700 style Bass Mafia boxes are not worth the extra money to me and I have went to all Plano thin boxes.

I bought the weight add-ons from Bass Mafia and have never used them.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast