Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Evinrude 140 NOT going on 1880

From what my dealer has told me the new Evinrude G2 140 HP is NOT going to be available for the 1880. In effect the 1880 is going to be maximum hp of 115. BIG BUMMER DEAL! Seems like he and all the rest of us are scratching our heads over Evinrudes decision to make it a 115, 140 and 150 as the 140 and 150 are quite close in size.... I wonder how much less power and speed the new 150 is going to have compared to the 150 HO.

2. Member
    That’s too bad. But having the 115HO G2 available for the AVX1880 will be a great choice, and I can imagine the white on white AVX1880/G2 115HO will be a big seller. Can’t wait to see how it performs on the very high performance AVX1880 bass boat.

Well, if you can believe the internet it will be a little less powerful. The new 1.9L 150 has tested out right at 150hp, and the 2.7L 150 HO is said to be closer to 165hp. I read that they rate HP at lower RPMs (maybe 4500) and at that RPM 150 HO rates 150hp. But at the higher 5500+ RPMs it is closer to 165hp.

That said, everything I read about the new 150HP is very positive. It will be a little lighter, has a neat feature of being able to move a pin to lock up the steering for trailering, will get even better gas mileage, and can have the power steering built-in for cleaner rigging. Time will tell how they perform on the water. It gives another choice for the AVX1980 buyers to choose from that will be a little cheaper I imagine. I predict many of the AVX1980CC buyers will prefer the incredible gas mileage of the new 150hp on their rigs.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    That’s too bad. But having the 115HO G2 available for the AVX1880 will be a great choice, and I can imagine the white on white AVX1880/G2 115HO will be a big seller. Can’t wait to see how it performs on the very high performance AVX1880 bass boat.

Well, if you can believe the internet it will be a little less powerful. The new 1.9L 150 has tested out right at 150hp, and the 2.7L 150 HO is said to be closer to 165hp. I read that they rate HP at lower RPMs (maybe 4500) and at that RPM 150 HO rates 150hp. But at the higher 5500+ RPMs it is closer to 165hp.

That said, everything I read about the new 150HP is very positive. It will be a little lighter, has a neat feature of being able to move a pin to lock up the steering for trailering, will get even better gas mileage, and can have the power steering built-in for cleaner rigging. Time will tell how they perform on the water. It gives another choice for the AVX1980 buyers to choose from that will be a little cheaper I imagine. I predict many of the AVX1980CC buyers will prefer the incredible gas mileage of the new 150hp on their rigs.
    Is Rude still going to offer the 150 HO(2.7L)? Or is this new 1.9L 150 going to replace it?
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

4. Member
    The 140 G2 is there to go directly against Suzuki's 140 for other markets.

5. Member
    I’m pretty sure they will continue to make the 2.7L 150HO G2. If they stopped making it my Vexus might actually go up in value. That would be sweet. I think it’s only been made since 2017, so to end production now makes no sense. So, like has been stated above there may be 3 Evinrude 150hp outboards available. And I believe the G1 135HP will continue to be made as well.

Yes, these new Evinrude’s may get priced to compete with the Suzuki outboards which have had a price advantage over all other makes. Suzuki outboards happen to be great reliable engines as well. Three years now on my buddy’s Suzuki 90HP 4stroke and nothing but oil changes, lower unit dope, filters, etc.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

what are the chances that Vexus will re-do the HP on the AVX 1880 once more for the new 140G2?? Not likely but we can hope? Really scratching my head on Evinrude's decision!

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

7. Member
    It was said somewhere already by Vexus that there's pretty much zero chance of that happening.

so, I can run a 135HO on the 1880 which is basically around 148hp but they won't up the HP rating to 140 so customers can take advantage of the new G2 as well run the Suzuki?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    so, I can run a 135HO on the 1880 which is basically around 148hp but they won't up the HP rating to 140 so customers can take advantage of the new G2 as well run the Suzuki?
    something seems wrong with that, still an 18ft 8" boat for max of 135hp...I know they perform well with a 135 from what I've read, but why not allow the 140, really only 5hp more and it's a lighter engine at least from Evinrude.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

10. Member
    Because next thing you know it will be 150 rated because it's only 10 more and all the owners of prior 1880's and some 1980's won't be happy. I wish it was a 150 boat too, but from hearing the 1980 speeds I'm not sure it is ever going to be a 60mph boat... Your either gonna be happy with low 50's or buy something else.

11. Member
    I wonder why Evinrude didn't come out with both a 135 and 140 in the 1.9L G2 for exactly this situation. If the only difference between the 115 and the 150 in that displacement is the EMM programming, then changing the programming to have both models shouldn't be that hard.

Then again, I'm not in the business. But, I want an Evinrude for sentimental reasons when I finally buy, and it's not easy to do that around here.

12. Member
    The main reason I'm not going with the vexus for my new boat my father has the 1980 with g2 150 it's so ridiculously underpowered smh, literally slowest pad hull rig I've ever been in, hell there is a guy with a modv pt 18 that will eat us up with his 150 on tourney days

13. Member
    I may revisit the idea in a few years when they realize they have to up HP ratings across the board 25-50hp on all avx models, otherwise it will just be a good looking tin rig, another complaint is that it catches wind way worse than the old xpress, the boat sits very bow high, the ride is great but it rides no better than the xpress pad hull, or the ranger rt198p that's real world facts to anybody contemplating one of these

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ggcnash View Post
    The main reason I'm not going with the vexus for my new boat my father has the 1980 with g2 150 it's so ridiculously underpowered smh, literally slowest pad hull rig I've ever been in, hell there is a guy with a modv pt 18 that will eat us up with his 150 on tourney days
    It's sad that they are underpowering their boats. I think it is not a structural issue, but an issue regarding them wanting to FORCE you into a more expensive boat to get some performance.....and now if you do plop down all that money for expensive boat --- with a 150 ---- you get passed by a pt18 mod V. I wanted one of the Vexus boats. I wanted the 1880 and was even going to pay the high price because they are so poorly networked that a dealer can literally bend you over if you want one. He is probably the only dealer in decent driving range. I was still going to do it until they stuck with the underpowering. That 1880 needs more than a 115.... That's just sad.

I expected something better from all the introduction hype ..... But in my opinion it's just another same ol same ol....with nice paint and storage and a price that is tough.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    It's sad that they are underpowering their boats. I think it is not a structural issue, but an issue regarding them wanting to FORCE you into a more expensive boat to get some performance.....and now if you do plop down all that money for expensive boat --- with a 150 ---- you get passed by a pt18 mod V. I wanted one of the Vexus boats. I wanted the 1880 and was even going to pay the high price because they are so poorly networked that a dealer can literally bend you over if you want one. He is probably the only dealer in decent driving range. I was still going to do it until they stuck with the underpowering. That 1880 needs more than a 115.... That's just sad.

I expected something better from all the introduction hype ..... But in my opinion it's just another same ol same ol....with nice paint and storage and a price that is tough.
    I can tell you this, these boats are far from being underpowered. I went out in the 1980 with a Merc 150 pro xs and it's almost scary with that rating. Holeshot is instant and you are up to speed in no time. The boat is very responsive so it's like driving a sports car.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

I wouldn't consider a 115 on a 1880. That is just me though. I did however seriously look at the 1880 w/135 and test drove it. That setup is pretty damn impressive. I then went out on the 1980 w/ G2. Setup for Setup - it just made sense for me to go with 1980. I work to enjoy life, so the price point, was meh to me. For the quality and performance you get, no regrets. I do not think that boat is under powered in anyway. It meets every expectation I had/have in regards to performance. However, I have to admit, I am seriously looking at going up to the 2080. Not because I am unhappy with the 1980, just there is something about having a V8 hanging back there.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    I can tell you this, these boats are far from being underpowered. I went out in the 1980 with a Merc 150 pro xs and it's almost scary with that rating. Holeshot is instant and you are up to speed in no time. The boat is very responsive so it's like driving a sports car.
    "...1980 with a Merc 150 pro xs and it's almost scary....". That rig is probably 50 hp short of a decent case of chine walk.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    "...1980 with a Merc 150 pro xs and it's almost scary....". That rig is probably 50 hp short of a decent case of chine walk.
    Might be the most over exaggerated review yet. Don't get me wrong, test drive of the 1980 was awesome but the only way the hole shot could be called instantaneous, and the performance as scary and like a sports car is if you're comparing it to a 17ft bass tracker. Not to take anything away from the 1980, because it is a great boat, but let's put the crack pipe down. Could definitely use a 175hp at the very least.

19. Member
    Damn fellers, you guys want a crotch rocket then plop the funds down for a Allison, Gambler or any other 80+ MPH hour boat. My 1880 with 135 on the back does just fine, and the price allowed me to deck out the boat with better goodies that allows me to catch more fish, the pymt allows me to travel to more places to catch fish.... "Pattern starting to form". The whole point in buying a boat is to fish, and have some fun doing it, going 80 + MPH on the water is not in my wheel house, and I don't see to many on here that are on the Pro tour, though I have noticed there are alot of speed freaks who like fishing with the bow straight up in the air......good luck with that, I'll wave when you pass me , and wave at ya again when I see you stopped for another tank full.

20. Member
    Lol, I fish from a 1980 with a g2 almost every weekend nice boat, but as I said severely underpowered, it pops up on plane quick but very far from scary, and hell it should with how bow high it sits, the boats top speed is very unimpressive especially with a load our buddies pt18 with 150 merc eats us up both loaded with two anglers, that's a mod v hull, with a 98" beam a sled, that is far from scary speed lol, and I agree with previous poster, it's sad because the boat is well built and the hull just wants more power no exaggeration I too think it's at least 50hp from chine walk, bottom line is the hype is over and real world verdicts have been passed they either need to step up the hp or be known for making a nice but underpowered rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast