Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chemo induced nueropathy - impact on fishing?

I am cancer free, but the chemo side effects "gifted" me with feet and finger nueropathy. No pain or tingling, but bad numbness. My numbness in my feet has really affected my balance. I hardly did any trout fishing this spring because I had a terrible time wading. Now that it is finally bass season, I find myself hanging on to my butt seat for dear life when it is windy or heavy boat traffic (wakes). I am wearing my life vest all the time. I may be forced to fish Bill Dance style while seated in my front seat.

The doctor tells me that most make a 100% recovery from nueropathy but it can take a long time. My concern is, could I be the one where the numbness doesn't go away?

Because I can't feel my finger tips my casting accuracy is way off. I have fished more in deeper water because of my casting issues but the balance problem has me frightened that I will be going over the brink.

Would love to hear comments from others who have had this. IM me if you are more comfortable not going public. Thanks.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

2. Member
    Keep on keeping on brother. It will get better. Give it time. Take a buddy fishing with you. Sit in a full size seat. You will get used to it and may grow to like it. Fab up a pvc framework to sit in floor to have something to hold on too as you go to and from the deck. Take your time. It’s fishing. Best of luck to you.

3. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I have neuropathy from chemo too. My Dr. Told me if you have it after a year it probably won't go away.
    I too suffer from balance Issues and like you do my best to remain in the boat.

I was told to take inositol and E. It doesn't really seem to do much but might want to give it a try. It's OTC and relatively cheap. I also read vit. B helps.
    I can't relate mine to any issue but it feels like I have a sunburn when I touch my skin.

5. Banned
    Just do what you gotta do to keep out there man. The fish don’t know what you’re doing above the water. Best of luck to you man

Mine isn't from chemo, but from diabetes, specifically Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar, too much insulin I guess). Had the hypoglycemia since I was young, if not from birth. My feet hurt like blazes when I go to bed and annoyingly all the time. My right forearm feels like it's sunburned...good description, Allen. I can balance somewhat on my right foot, but no hope on my left. If I ever have to take a sobriety test, I'll just have to blow in the tube. I take 1800 mg of Gabapentin daily, but it doesn't do a lot. Sometimes I supplement that with sodium-naproxen (Advil).

All that aside, I am also a cancer (Melanoma) survivor. Welcome to the club!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

7. Member
    Ask dr about lyrica and gabapentin.

I feel your pain. And your numbness. I hate that anyone has to deal with. In many cases, neuropathy from chemo or surgery (back) isn’t curable. Only treatable. I’ve had peripheral neuropathy since day one after back surgery in early 2016. I take Gabapentin daily to address the pain/numbness. It’s one of the safest drugs on the market with regards to side effects (mild), and long term use. I also get a deep tissue massage twice a month which really gives me a few days of relief. Well worth the money.
    In my case, my neurosurgeon has recommended fusion surgery on my lower back to relieve pressure on the nerves, but there’s no assurance it will completely cure the problem.
    Ask your DR about Gapapentin, or maybe Lyrica, which is for diabetic nerve pain, but appropriate for your issue.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    I have it also from a light stroke. I hug my butt seat too in rough water but it is worse at times than others. On Lyrica which seems to help. Just don't give up!

10. Member
    I have balance issues also, secondary to over two years of chemo. I am very careful when on my front deck, and I also see a regular seat in my future, rather than my bike seat. As far as it going away, I think it's doubtful, but I think it depends on the length of time with chemo and the damage done by chemo. Mine is intermittent, and I consider myself very fortunate. Hang in there, we just have to relearn certain things and adapt to others. It can be done.

11. Member
    Balance issues here too, from a lifetime of back problems and a couple of surgeries. My solution was a stick steer boat. I get in, plant my butt in the seat, and don’t get up until it’s time to get out.

believe it or not I do pretty well in a kayak too, no standing but I doubt I could have ever done that.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

12. Member
    Thanks for all the great comments. I guess dealing with it is the best I can do. Doctors have told me about prescriptions for pain and tingling, but I have neither of those side effects. I was told there is no drug to help the numbness.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

13. Member
    If I had to sit to fish. That is what the heck I would do. The pitching would be hard , but I bet with a little practice. A person could do alright.

I have issues from my back, but nothing to the level you have. Have you asked about physical therapy to see if it might help? Whatever you do stay active it can only help. I would use the seat for now if it gets you on the water.

15. Member
    I have a few friends with balance issues. They both sold the bass boat and purchased stick steer aluminum boats. In time they both have adjusted and can still tear us up at tournaments.
    Never give up!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

I give you props for not giving up and keepin on! A lot of people would have just given up.

17. Member
    Did you do the Chemo IV or the chemo pill?
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

18. Member
    Did you get the hand/feet blisters?
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    I am cancer free, but the chemo side effects "gifted" me with feet and finger nueropathy. No pain or tingling, but bad numbness. My numbness in my feet has really affected my balance. I hardly did any trout fishing this spring because I had a terrible time wading. Now that it is finally bass season, I find myself hanging on to my butt seat for dear life when it is windy or heavy boat traffic (wakes). I am wearing my life vest all the time. I may be forced to fish Bill Dance style while seated in my front seat.

The doctor tells me that most make a 100% recovery from nueropathy but it can take a long time. My concern is, could I be the one where the numbness doesn't go away?

Because I can't feel my finger tips my casting accuracy is way off. I have fished more in deeper water because of my casting issues but the balance problem has me frightened that I will be going over the brink.

Would love to hear comments from others who have had this. IM me if you are more comfortable not going public. Thanks.
    My FIL went through the exact thing you're experiencing. After being a Bass fisherman his whole life, he decided to convert the boat into a Crappie boat adding side by side seating in the front as well as rod holders, then sell a large amount of his bass tackle to buy Crappie tackle. He had to learn a bunch of recipes to cook all the fish he started catching/keeping! Spider rigging is much easier on the body than trying to cast all day, it really is a whole new style of fishing that is a challenge to master but it's still a very relaxing and rewarding experience.

Sorry for the large pic, I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller...

20. Member
    Put in a seat and sit down and relax. You can cast and catch fish and be more rested at the end of the day.
    Please release me,let me go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast