Jackplate questions

How much setback is too much? When is it too much stress on the transom?

Pro's and con's of one brand over another?

Which ones are actually "one bolt" adjustable?

The boat is a '87 Skeeter Strada f120, I'm starting to rehab. New transom, stringers, floors, etc. It has a two stroke 115hp, rated for a 125hp.

Hydraulic or manual ?

I never had this boat on the water, no clue how it performed.

2. Banned
    Manual unless you fish shallow a lot. No need for the added expense and weight. 4" should be more then enough for your hull it will be more about motor height not set back.

Hulls running larger plates are trying to put the prop in the rise of the wake behind the boat. Those are hulls that are light, fast, and prop needs to be higher for max performance.

As far as brand that's a personal choice depending on what you want to spend. My last boat had a CMC that I liked very easy to adjust.
    Last edited by jarhead175; 06-24-2019 at 09:05 PM.

3. Member
    Thank You.

I have a 6 in "pro-highjacker". Its 1 bolt adjustable however i have to loosen the 6 side bolts for it to move. And to tell the truth, i measured prop to pad before i removed the engine and installed/adjusted it to 1 inch above where it was previous and have never touched it since. I can go up more but i am happy with its performance as-is.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

I have a 6 inch SlideMaster manual and I set it and have never touched it again. Except to check and make sure everything is tight

6. Member
    Thank you both.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    True 1 bolt adjustment, look at Bob's Versa Jac. Its the same frame as our hydraulic so can be upgraded down the road if you want. Only 1 bolt at top to adjust. All the other brands also have side bolts that you have to loosen everytime to make adjustment, IE : First loosen all the side bolts, then adjust at the top. With the Bobs versa jac, you remove a 'lock' with a phillips head screw driver, and then you adjust the bolt up or down, can do 100% on the water if you wish, and replace the lock. www.bobsmachine.com
    Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com

8. Member
    Thank you.