1983 150 Black Max with no low end power

I posted this question in the Ranger forms and was directedhere. I have an 83 Ranger 350-V that hasthe original 150 Black Max. The outboard starts as expected for a carb engine, notterrible but not instant. Prime the bulband make sure the outboard is not trimmed all the way down to keep the floatsbalanced and it will start up with the choke engaged and no throttle. Once the boat is on plane the engine accelerates quickly andWOT is at 5200 rpms, slightly low but I’ll leave that up to the experts.

I restored the boat and in the effort of making sure thingsare fresh, I went through the outboard as follows:

- I went thru the carbs and found them spotless from years ofthe original owner regularly running Seafoam in the gas. I checked each jet with carb cleaner andfound no issues.

- Replaced all of the float needle valves and springs butthey didn’t appear to need replacing.

- Replaced the plugs but they looked fine, however I didn’t replaceplug wires. I also did not replace reedsor reed blocks.

- Replaced every fuel and vacuum hose on the engine.

Here is the problem. When taking off from a dead start the engine is slow to develop rpmsuntil about 1500 rpm when it accelerates quickly. This causes a slower than desired hole shot,and it causes difficulty pushing the boat fully onto the trailer if needed.
    It’s not a bog or that it loses power, it’s just slow to getpower. My friends have plenty of powerat the low end, very snappy and I wonder if this engine has an issue?

The original owner put a 4 blade 13.75” Power Tech 24 pitchprop on the motor. It might be overpropped considering the slow acceleration and the 5200 rpm WOT.

Is there anything else that I can check? Could this be a reed valve issue?

2. Member
    dout its reeds , over propped ,need lower pitch and would get different design , remember your engine is no comparison to todays later model 150, comparison to about a 115/125 mabe
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................