Motor Cranks But No Power To Prop

Obviously a Lower unit issue.

2007 Mercury 250 Pro XS Gen 1 Torque Master

I was fishing and went to head to a different spot. Got on plane and got up to 40 or so mph, and then lost power basically felt like the prop just fell off. Motor was still running after coming to a stop. I turned it off and trimmed it up to check the prop and everything appeared ok.

Cranked the motor back up and put it in forward. It shifted into forward like normal it felt like, but nothing happens. Tried to shift into reverse, and I believe it went into reverse, but it didn't shift to it like normal. A little harder and not a smooth shift, and may have not even fully went into reverse I'm not sure. But the same thing and forward, no power it's not turning the prop.

Back at home after a better inspection the lower unit appears fine. Prop spins free in neutral. Shift to forward and it will turn just a tiny bit and you can hear a bit up a "clunk."

Any ideas what I broke?

**Update**

I pulled the prop and went drain the oil only there was no oil. Drained a solo cup full of water and metal flakes. I had a dealer put in new seals, put in new impeller, and fresh gear oil on April 12th. I’ve took the boat out maybe 5 times since then.
    Last edited by west_tn; 06-24-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Check the hub and drain the gear oil for inspection, be sure shift linkage is working properly
    Thank You Leon Pugh

For starters, I'd remove the prop and check the hub and prop shaft splines. For piece of mind, I'd also drain the lower unit fluid to see what it looks like if the hub and prop shaft looked ok.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Check the hub and drain the gear oil for inspection.
    It better look good since I just had new seals, impeller, and fresh gear oil change done a month ago.

But that is what I plan on checking as soon as I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HellaBass View Post
    Sounds like it could be a spun prop hub
    +1

6. Member
    It should still propel the boat at idle speed though if that were the case no?

I would have pulled the prop and had a look see before starting a thread here, but that's just me!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    How do you spin a Merc solid hub? That hub has broken at the collar before but you can not spin a solid hub.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    My guess is on a sheered driveshaft or pinion gear failure. Prop hub isn't impossible, but not very likely on this one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Update in the original post. Not good.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Wow, that sucks. Since it’s been that long don’t think there can be any recourse. Maybe go in and talk to them in person.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Talk to the dealer, if no external damage or line in the prop shaft seal, they might work with you in some way to reduce repair cost. If I had done this job and could not find a cause of recent damage beyond my control I would at least offer to repair it at cost since it has only been about 10 weeks. Some insurance policies do offer protection for this type of event, mine does as long as I can show proper maintenance has been performed. Just required to keep a log and receipts for service and parts since I perform all of my work myself
    Thank You Leon Pugh