Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton 186 View Post
    Glorified, overpriced, window units

You have no idea..... MiniSplits are actually relatively inexpensive. Depending on the manufacturer you could have up to 7 zones on a single exterior compressor. Additionally Their SEER ratings are substantially higher, in some cases double. Electricity usage is like half of a window unit....additionally we have one that runs on 3 solar panels...All day. At night it switches over to 220...we could have opted for a battery system for total usage.

I've had bad luck with LG, but good luck with Mitsubishi units.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    LG units are trash. We made the mistake of using them on 1 job. Spent countless hours on warranty work with those POS!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    You have no idea..... MiniSplits are actually relatively inexpensive. Depending on the manufacturer you could have up to 7 zones on a single exterior compressor. Additionally Their SEER ratings are substantially higher, in some cases double. Electricity usage is like half of a window unit....additionally we have one that runs on 3 solar panels...All day. At night it switches over to 220...we could have opted for a battery system for total usage.

20 years in commercial, industrial hvac service , no idea ?

5. Banned
    The mini splits are what the rest of the world is now using--every country essentially. Even my HVAC guy is using one at his home.

When my Trane heat pump gives up the ghost next, it's being replaced with 2 mini-splits.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton 186 View Post
    20 years in commercial, industrial hvac service , no idea ?
    You're the one comparing them to window units.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    The three head system works very well heating and cooling and the units are reasonably quiet. It is amazing how warm the air is during the winter time versus the heat pump we have down stairs.
    I am surprised by what i have read about the heating ability of these things. We would not be relying on them for heat but still - it seems counterintuitive to have the heat so high on the wall, with no lower return air, and they heat well. I am glad they do seem to satisfy most folks, I am just surprised they do as well as folks say.

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    After our last two experiences with LG appliances, I would not be quick to use LG again. If we have them professionally installed my only choices around me are Lennox and Carrier.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    After our last two experiences with LG appliances, I would not be quick to use LG again. If we have them professionally installed my only choices around me are Lennox and Carrier.
    Ask your Carrier dealer if he can do Toshiba, not my 1st choice but not a bad one. I haven't used Toshiba mini splits but I have used some of their other products.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

Thanks guys.
    We are not so much worried about some of the detail stuff. I have run the electric for dozens of these things, just never been around to talk to customers as to how they liked them. We cannot really get less efficient from where we are now with window units...but even that - if the windows units did a better job (and were less noisy) we would be happy with even them.
    The estimates for central air and the mini-splits were close enough to each other that not having to listen to our furnace run all summer seems like it is worth it (like I said before, our furnace is in the middle of the house and is noisy).

Friends of ours who rehabbed a house in Minnesota (bought a junk house for next to nothing and did a complete restoration) installed mini-splits. At the onset they had 4 window units a 5k and 2- 7k units and a free standing portable 10K for 29k total BTU's of cooling. They went with a 3 zone system - with 3- 9k wall units for 27k btu's of cooling (so less) and they say that with the window units they would still get warm - and with the mini-splits they tell me is actually gets too cool in the house at times. They were worried that their living room might not get cool enough with just 9k btu's wall unit, (before they actually had 15k for that area of the house - 10k in the living room and 5k in the dining room - but the two are really the same room) but they say it does a GREAT job.

Would you say this is average - that these things provide better cooling per rated BTU.
    IE: would you expect a 9k wall unit in our living room would be comparable/better than the 10K portable there now?

My buddy had an outdoor porch area closed in and finished into a four season room using a Mitsubishi mini-split for heating/cooling... it works better than my home's A/C and is absolutely silent at all times.

This is a good timely topic as we are in the process of purchasing a mini-split system. We have narrowed it down to the Daikin and Mitsubishi. Within $2K in price but the Daikin comes with a 12 year parts & LABOR warranty. We are leaning toward the Daikin because of the warranty.

What do the BBC people think?!
    Bugs
    2003 Ranger 620VS
    2003 Yamaha 225HP
    2003 Yamaha 9.9HP

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    My buddy had an outdoor porch area closed in and finished into a four season room using a Mitsubishi mini-split for heating/cooling... it works better than my home's A/C and is absolutely silent at all times.
    This is what we did when we remodeled our house. We had a screened in porch and framed it, insulated it, ran electrical, cat 6 wire & coax & put in a mini split. Bought a couch, flat screen TV, beer fridge, etc. We basically live in our 4 seasons room year round. Highly recommend them.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12