Thread: ned head mold

ned head mold

is there another hook that fits besides the mustad 5213 been using them in the rocks and looking for a cheaper hook

2. Member
    You referring to the worm nose mold or the Midwest finesse?

3. Member
    Midwest finesse

4. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Ron
    Green Fish Bait Brewery (FB)
    Veteran

5. Member
    I think you mean the Owner 5313, there is no such hook as a Mustad 5213. A good hook that isn't expensive is the Eagle Claw 570 BP or the 500 BP Lil Nasty, both of those are good options. The VMC 7147 is a good hook and the Mustad 32500 will also work, the EC 500 Lil Nasty and the Mustad 32500 Skipjack hooks are both sickle style hooks, I find that when you hook fish with those they are pretty much going to end up in the boat. Now, the Owner 5313 is a 1X strong hook, if you "cross their eyes" on a hook set or use heavier tackle than what is normally used when finesse fishing you will end up in the "bent the hook out" crowd. I mention that because I know a lot of guys that use MH rods with 30lb braid and 12lb fluorocarbon leaders for Ned rig fishing and that is why the 5313 is so good, it will take a lot to bend it out. The other hooks I mentioned will not bend out if you can finesse fish and by that I mean you set the hook with a sharp lift, not a snap set and you let a medium or medium light rod do that work, you don't ski the fish across the water trying to make up time in tournaments. Again, it is just heads up that the less expensive hooks that work in that mold without modifying it are light wire Aberdeen style hooks that will bend out it you try to use too much force but they are plenty strong and you should have no trouble with the right tackle. I've landed many 5lb smallmouth that I caught on small 1/16oz and 3/32oz hair jigs with size #2 570 BP hooks and not even a hint of the hook bending. So if you don't have an issue with the light wire hooks the ones I mentioned will all work well in that mold.

6. Member
    Smalljaw thanks for the info

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    Smalljaw thanks for the info
    I need to apologize for my answer. I just read my answer and it sounded a little condescending to me, it was not meant to be. I must have read over 100 reviews of different ned rig heads in which anglers complained of hooks bending out. I also have been asked by a lot of guys about making a ned rig head with a stout hook and it can be done but the hooks are either costly or you have to modify the mold in order to make the hook fit. I think if you are looking for a good performing hook that is strong with a good price I'd have to go with the VMC 7147. All the other hooks I mentioned before are very good but I think the VMC is a little stronger, similar to the wire on the Owner 5318 or the Gamakatsu 604.

8. Member
    Smalljaw your ok you was not condescending to me

9. Member
    I like the Lil Nasty hooks in my MWF mold as well. Tremendous hooks as the point is slightly turned in, it doesn't get blunt easily from bottom contact, and they tend to be buried in the fish's mouths, I don't lose many on them. I find that I absolutely need to powder coat MWF heads, especially the lighter ones, as it helps re-enforce the hook in the lead head. Without power coat the head becomes loose very quickly. I use a number 2 Lil Nasty, either black or bronze.

10. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Here is what I use.... I tried others but always come back to these for price and quality. https://store.do-itmolds.com/VMC-714...00_p_1223.html

VMC 7147BN. 1/0 and 2/0