EFI down on power

1998 200 EFI # OG636601 has a problem, struggles to get on plane and has lost about 700 RPM on top end and can be hard to restart. Mechanic says compression is good and charging system is working as should. A leaking intake gasket has been replaced along with a check valve in the VST system and also a thermostat but problem still exists. Mechanic thinks it might be the ECU because a couple of times it would run fine for a minute but would start acting up again. My question is that a friend has a 2000 EFI, sorry I don't have his serial number, and I'm wondering if his ECU would work on my motor, The # on his ECU is not the same as mine. Thank you very much for any and all help.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't know what HP your friends engine is, some specific info on his would be helpful.

His engine likely has a later version program for CDM ignition.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry Don but all I really know at this point is it is a 2000 200 efi, thanks for your help though I've learned a number of things from you watching this board. You have been very helpful.
    Last edited by FTC; 06-25-2019 at 07:32 AM.

4. Member
    Tried a known good ECU of same part number today and did not fix problem. Thinking maybe switch boxes.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have spark on all six cylinders?

Inspected trigger AND TRIGGER HARNESS?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor