Soft Body Frog Rod

I have been throwing a lot of soft body frogs this year and would like some suggestions on a specific rod for this technique. I have tried several of the G Loomis rods that I have and the only one that comes close to what I like is the CBR rods. They have a nice flexible tip for casting but they seem to be too soft in the mid to lower section. I could use some suggestions for a dedicated rod.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

2. Member
    I don’t spend a ton on Frog rods. My two favorites are a few Dobyns rods.

Hollow body frogs in and around slop - Dobyns 735
    Toads and soft plastic style frogs in sparse cover - Dobyns 734

3. Member
    It will be used mostly around sparse cover and for hollow body frogs.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

5. Member
    Tatula elite ags 7'4 heavy

6. Member
    i have used a lot of rods for frogs within the past few years. 1 daiwa steez ags 7'4 frog rod this will come at a premium price and is a powerful stick for moderate to heavy cover super light and powerful 2. dobyns 734 and 735 are good choices. 3. shimano expride 7'2 hvy for moderate 7'3 xh for slop. 4 megabass valdivia for slop. 5 i rod freds magic stick good all rounder.
    lastly i just had a custom toadface built by alx same blank just full cork handle and i have only fished it twice but it really shines at working frogs the tip is softer than the fore mentioned rods and really lets you work a frog with ease. its not super stout like some of the others so it will be more versatile on the lighter side of things around moderate cover, for the price its a great rod for what little time i have used it anyway.

I would suggest the Dobyns 735 - I generally use the 736 for hollow frogs and the 735 for soft.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

8. Member
    If you’re using it in sparse cover I wouldn’t go with a typical frog rod. For fishing a hollow body around sparse grass or shoreline cover I use a 7’mh MojoBass and works great. I mean Dean Rojas uses a 7’mh for most of his frog fishing

9. Member
    After talking to Alex at ALX I decided to give the Toadface a try. He fishes a lot of the same type of cover around Santee that is very similar to what I am fishing. They are waiting on new builds to come in shortly and will give some feedback once I get a chance to try one on the water.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

10. Member
    I finally got to try out my Toadface rod this past Saturday. After fishing a topwater plug for most of the early morning I entered a area with a mix of duckweed, arrow pads and wood. I thought this would be a good lace to try out the rod with a hollow body popping frog matched up with a Curado E7 and 65# power pro braid. On my second cast a 3 pound fish exploded on the frog about 10 feet from the boat. I was able to work him out of the pads and around the wood with very little problem. For the short time I used the rod I can say that it cast very well and I like the way it flexes under a load. I think this will be my goto frog rod.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    I finally got to try out my Toadface rod this past Saturday. After fishing a topwater plug for most of the early morning I entered a area with a mix of duckweed, arrow pads and wood. I thought this would be a good lace to try out the rod with a hollow body popping frog matched up with a Curado E7 and 65# power pro braid. On my second cast a 3 pound fish exploded on the frog about 10 feet from the boat. I was able to work him out of the pads and around the wood with very little problem. For the short time I used the rod I can say that it cast very well and I like the way it flexes under a load. I think this will be my goto frog rod.

12. Banned
    I use this rod, I had some custom ones built that are about the same tip but a bit heavier all over and I find my hook up and such is better with these rods. I think too stiff of a rod provides a jerk on hook set vs a deep pull.. These fx rods work great and Ive got big fish out of big junk. up to 8lb 13oz

https://www.fxcustomrods.com/collect...12477828137026

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I would suggest the Dobyns 735 - I generally use the 736 for hollow frogs and the 735 for soft.
    ^^ This is the route I go as well

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    I have jokingly started referring to my Toadface rod as my "swim jig face" rod. It is still far and away the ultimate frog rod imho, but man, if someone ever told me that it was purposely designed as a swim jig rod, I would have NO problem believing them. I normally throw a swim jig on 15-17lb flouro and I'm certain that a Toadface set up like that would also serve double (actually triple) duty as a fantastic rod for pitching jigs/plasitcs. The frog rods that Ive used in the past have all been pretty one dimensional but I seem to find myself liking the Toadface for additional baits/tactics all the time..... And it is STILL the best frog rod that I've ever had in my hands.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I have jokingly started referring to my Toadface rod as my "swim jig face" rod. It is still far and away the ultimate frog rod imho, but man, if someone ever told me that it was purposely designed as a swim jig rod, I would have NO problem believing them. I normally throw a swim jig on 15-17lb flouro and I'm certain that a Toadface set up like that would also serve double (actually triple) duty as a fantastic rod for pitching jigs/plasitcs. The frog rods that Ive used in the past have all been pretty one dimensional but I seem to find myself liking the Toadface for additional baits/tactics all the time..... And it is STILL the best frog rod that I've ever had in my hands.
    I know what you mean. I bought my irod Fred's Magic Stick for frogs and I have more time with other techniques on it than the intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Guys don't believe me when I say that out of 15 rods in my boat, 6 are Toadfaces... and that is why.