Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On board charger

Another on board charger thread. Tried using the search but it kinda sucks so...

What's everyone like and dislike? My Minn Kota just crapped out after 4 years. I really liked it. I think it did a great job. I could just replace it but I'm open to suggestions as well. Noco is lighter, cheaper, and better warranty so that's a contender as well. Input?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Not NOCO or Pro Mariner. Both fail too often. NOCO especially. Several people have reported NOCO chargers causing interference in electronics. NOCO denied my warranty claim because I had replaced a ring terminal. Stick with Dual Pro or MK.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I have a Dual Pro and a NOCO. Both have worked flawlessly.

If I had to pick one it would be the Dual Pro. Both have done a great job the Dual Pro just seems to be the nicer of the 2.

4. Member
    My luck with MinnKota...Sold my old boat to a good buddy and the MinnKota 3/10 charger is over twenty years old and still works. The MinnKota 3/60 in my 2009 Legend still works. Maybe the older ones were better or you got a bad one. Kinda like a WalMart battery I bough for a Tahoe went bad in under 60 days, replaced it with exact same battery and it was still good when I sold the car 6 years later. Go figure.

If you check the Electronics Forum, you can compare the number of posts asking about problems with various brands of chargers. Without a doubt, Dual Pro has the least number of posts regarding problems. And, when you do see one of the rare posts, you will also see the OP complimenting Dual Pro on their outstanding customer service.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Powermania is worth a look. Only been using mine half a season so can't really comment, but it's working good and gets good reviews.

7. Member
    After using most mentioned, except Noco, my number one choice is Stealth1 charging system. Two would be Minn Kota.My 2 Dual Pros sucked.

8. Member
    I have always had Dual Pros and have not had any issues.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    I just had a similar situation...MK345PC worked great since about 2014 and last week, bank #2 stopped working. I just replaced it with the same thing.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a MK 330D and the new 330PC? The one that just quit was a 330D. I see the PC is lighter. Any other difference?

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m really happy with my Noco, but if the MK gave you years of exceptional service I’d probably just replace it with the same thing. Noco will definitely deny a claim if you alter ANYTHING! I wanted to cut my leads to the right length but after reading how strict they were about the unit being exactly as shipped I changed nothing.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Get a Pro Mariner Pro Tournament model. Lifetime warranty, can't beat it. Pro Mariner has sold more chargers than all the other companies combined.

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a MK 330D and the new 330PC? The one that just quit was a 330D. I see the PC is lighter. Any other difference?
    The PC allows you to choose battery type for each bank individually.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Don't put it back in your boat
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    Another one that doesn't weigh much is, Stealth1. AC and DC together 15#. http://chargeontherun.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    Get a Pro Mariner Pro Tournament model. Lifetime warranty, can't beat it. Pro Mariner has sold more chargers than all the other companies combined.
    You sure? I had one go bad out of warranty and called to see about paying for a repair. They wouldn't do that, but gave me a great deal on the new top of the line 4 bank Elite model. Less than half of retail, like significantly less. I bought it under the impression that it had a three year warranty and that, given the luck I've had with on board chargers in the past, I'd be OK with having to pay that every three years if that's what it came down to. It's worked great in the two years since, but if there's some lifetime warranty I'm not aware of I'll be even happier with that awesome price they gave me.

This is where I got the impression that the warranty is only three years: http://www.promariner.com/en/product...urnament-elite
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

17. Member
    MK, I had a Dual Pro fail in my bass boat. One bank went out.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    Another one that doesn't weigh much is, Stealth1. AC and DC together 15#. http://chargeontherun.com/
    Great unit.

Stealth. Best I have owned.

Had a Minnkota 330 myself, one bank failed after 5 years of service. Went with another one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast