Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question will the foam in a 2006 X21TS hold water

We had a flood the last week in Feb. the water got in my boat through the drain plug. It got about 10" of water enough to mess up some reels baits in so called water tight boxes. Live well pump and values not working also bilge pump not working.
    But I'm concerned the foam might be water logged., Any help on this, do I need to clean the boat out and run it over truck scales. I don't know what the boat or trailer should weigh. ​HELP

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

anybody know anything about water logged boats????

Not sure you could tell with out drilling some holes.
    Speed before and after might be a clue
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

Just changed motors HPDI 250 to a SHO250

5. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    How long did the water stay in the boat ? I would think that it would not have completely waterlogged the foam in less than a month. I suggest you weight the boat and trailer to find a baseline and after a time period that it has stayed dry weight it again. Also if you see water dripping out of the drain a couple days after use, you may want to drill some inspection holes.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

6. Member
    it is closed cell foam it doesn't soak up water if you have doubts pull it across a scale an subtract the rigging an trailer.

7. Member
    If the skin on the closed cell is compromised anywhere, it will soak up water. You can drill a hole thru the aluminum floor and stick a wooden dowel down thru the foam then pull it out. If it's wet, it's water logged.

8. Member
    not a real scientific test the dowel could be wet from water sitting on top of the foam take a piece of it an put it in a bucket of water for a week weigh it before an after.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    not a real scientific test the dowel could be wet from water sitting on top of the foam take a piece of it an put it in a bucket of water for a week weigh it before an after.
    I'll give ya that, so let's take a piece of it, make a small cut in it(compromising the skin), then set it under water for a week. Weigh it then. I'll bet ya it comes back looking like this. IMG_20160416_181202110.jpg

10. Member
    Didn't intend to derail your thread.
    Get the thing cleaned up and dried out. Take it out and see how it performs. If your happy, run it. Good luck
    Chris.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    We had a flood the last week in Feb. the water got in my boat through the drain plug. It got about 10" of water enough to mess up some reels baits in so called water tight boxes. Live well pump and values not working also bilge pump not working.
    But I'm concerned the foam might be water logged., Any help on this, do I need to clean the boat out and run it over truck scales. I don't know what the boat or trailer should weigh. ​HELP
    How did you make out?

12. Member
    Either side of the boat in the rear compartment, drill a hole in the side into the foam and test it that way. I had to cut out for extra bracing on my transom and that is when I found mine damp. The previous owner had left the drainplug in on the trailer or in the water and it got about 12" or so up the sides. Why these boats don't have a auto bilge pump is beyond me. 1st thing I did was install one. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Picking up my reels to have them looked at to see they can be cleaned or repaired if not the insurance buy me new or pay for repairs

My pumps ran for about a week but they were ok after being checked by the dealer.

15. Member
    OMG. Yeah, the ‘closed cell foam’ gets waterlogged as f. It’s a big problem with these boats. You will notice a huge difference in performance if you’re carrying an extra 500lbs of water. I have seen this several times looking at used Xpress boats. Another telling sign is if it won’t stop dripping water. You can also call Xpress boats to get a dry weight on that rig. They answer the phone and are very helpful.

no water dripping out of the drain after a week. After 2.5 months of running 2 commercial dehumidifiers, a large drum fan and A/C It should have dried it out all compartments were open. I will get a chance sometimes to put it some scales. Just can not get any help out of Xpress on the weight of the boat and the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    no water dripping out of the drain after a week. After 2.5 months of running 2 commercial dehumidifiers, a large drum fan and A/C It should have dried it out all compartments were open. I will get a chance sometimes to put it some scales. Just can not get any help out of Xpress on the weight of the boat and the trailer
    You could do that for a year and not dry out waterlogged foam. Once its in there its done

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Your boat should weigh around 1600lbs, motor around 550lbs. You have 2150lbs there.

Check the plate on the front of your trailer and see if it mentions trailer weight there... I would check mine but I am at work. That is the only place I can think of besides reaching out to Xpress.

If Xpress cannot give you a specific weight for a 2006 trailer, ask for weight of a new one with the same options that are on yours... You should be able to ballpark it and then go weigh your full boat/motor/trailer package and have a pretty good idea if you are waterlogged or not
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

I wish mine didnt have an ounce of foam. They should really look at their process and seal the areas with foam. Its rediculous to look in a boat and see gaps with foam sticking out

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

20. Member
    One the foam is broken down there's no drying it out. It remains water like it's made for it. Only solution is to rip it out and replace it.

Side note, if the foam wasn't waterlogged before then a short term submersion won't hurt it. It generally takes freeze/thaw cycles or long term submersion to damage the foam
    Last edited by jprovencher80; 07-29-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast