Lake Lanier Info

I am going to Lanier at the end of the month and have never been there before, looking for some info to get started. Not fishing a Tx but going to visit family in th area and they don't fish.

Thanks for any help.

2. Member

Re: Lake Lanier Info (mellow yellow)

Not sure how much you already know about the lake,so I'm sorry if you know the basics.

Lanier is a VERY deep,clear lake...probably one of the best lakes in the country for "magnum" spotted bass.....the lake can fish like 2 totally different lakes,depending on which part of it you're going to be near.....the southern end has more offshore structure,where the northern part has more shoreline cover,and can afford you a better chance at a good largemouth.

If you can find out more info on where you'll be launching,we'll be able to help you better.....just remember.....the lake is nearing 12-15ft low....only 1/4 of the lakes ramps are usable right now....also....BE FRICKEN CAREFUL.....we saw HUGE stumps just below the surface in 20ft of water....lots of rock shoals are near the surface,too.

Good Luck out there if you go.....the most common thing to throw would be a 1/4-5/16oz shakey head with any color of green trick worm (I like the Netbait t-mac in Keylime Pie),thrown with florocarbon line.....a sammy in either American Shad,or Aurora blue will work great for top water,too.

3. Member

Re: Lake Lanier Info (toddandy)

The relatives live around Suwanee GA, and I would like to find a ramp as close to them as I can but am willing to drive to a safer place if needed. I do not know anything about the lake at all. I don't even know were the ramps are yet. I have also never fished for spots either so I will be totally blind and that's why I am trying to get some info..

Thanks for you're help. I have heard its low and dangerous, so I would like to find a place to put in and not have to go to far to find fish if that's possible.

4. Member

Ok....not sure if I can give you too many specifics,but I'll try.

Get yourself a GOOD lake map.....I think you'll be nearest to the dam,at the southern end of the lake.....I'd try to launch at the 'Dam Store' ramp,which is off Buford Dam Rd.

You've got a number of good areas to fish without getting too far away from your launch point.....you'll have Bald Ridge creek,Young Deer creek,and Shoal creek....all within about a 10min run.

Fish main lake points with a shakeyhead rig,or c-rig in between 10-25ft of water (depending on weather)....you can also fish shoals,bluff walls and rip-rap with either a crankbait (Lavender shad),spinnerbait (white with white blades) or the jighead-worm....You'll know when you get hit

Good luck....get a good map first and be careful

5. Member

Thanks Todd, I do appreciate you're time and info.. Line size and lure size for these spotted bass? 6,8,10 or 12 lb. , And small plastics or the same things I use for large mouth?

Thanks again

Richard.

6. Member

I'd just throw what you've already got....the weather and wind will let you know what sizes to throw.....cold front=smaller...high winds=larger.

If it's windy,stay clear of the big open water parts of the lake.....my boat is over 21ft long,and it can get pretty rough still.

7. Member

Thanks, If I can ever help you out on Lake Murray let me know.

8. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mellow yellow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, If I can ever help you out on Lake Murray let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Deal