10-15 sec stream of water when plug is pulled

So I’ve had My tracker v175 combo for about a year now. In the past, when I pull the plug it’s dry. Nothing ever comes out but today I noticed when I pulled the plug, stream of water about 10-15 sec rushed out. Didn’t use the livewell and in the last year I probably used it 2-3 times. Could water entering the splash well where the motor cords are entering/exiting be the issues(Being on plane then suddenly stopping)? Not sure if this is a huge issue since this is why there is a drain but confused as I never had this issue in the past.

2. Member
    That’s a crap ton of water for it to be just from the splash well. Almost sounds as if there’s a crack in the plug or livvewell plumbing. Next time you’re in the boat open the back compartment and see where the water is coming from. There should be no water at all and the only way you get that much water from the splashwell is if you take waves over the transom a lot
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    That’s a crap ton of water for it to be just from the splash well. Almost sounds as if there’s a crack in the plug or livvewell plumbing. Next time you’re in the boat open the back compartment and see where the water is coming from. There should be no water at all and the only way you get that much water from the splashwell is if you take waves over the transom a lot
    945B1510-9825-494F-A813-DCCCBB8134A7.jpeg

ECobb, first time doing this but I don’t have a rear compartment. I remove the cup holder(circled in blue) and I can kind of see the rear.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
    I'm not familiar with the layout of your boat but could it be from your cooler? The only time I see that much water in my Triton is when I use the cooler because the melted ice simply drains into the bilge.
    Please see above; layout above. Cooler was not used, using the outboard to get from one location to the other then trolled most of the time. Cooler, livewell, bildge, pump etc was not used

5. Banned
    Gonna have to go bilge diving... Sometime bilge or live well pumps break free of their bases and leak... Plug the live well and fill it with the garden hose and let it sit... See if water drips out the drain... Next time out put a cork in any fill/ overflow and see if you have water in the bilge... Examine the hull for cracks or punctures... Dan

6. Member
    Does your boat have a round access cover in the splash well of your boat. If so you can unscrew it and see down into the bilge.

7. Member
    I got a $100 that it’s a live well pump, fitting or hose that has cracked.

8. Craig White
    Yep. I had a similar issue and ended up being a crack in the live well hose. Even if u don't use the live well you can still get water in your boat.

9. Member
    I have a similar issue with my Tracker, it’s a stick steer Panfish 16. Thing is, mine is intermittent, most times it takes on a little water but other times it’s bone dry. I’ve suspected livewell plumbing, and since I never use it, I’m considering welding shut the fill and drain holes in the hull and yanking out the livewell.

Id much rather have the room inside the boat, and would use a cooler and a bag of ice when I go crappie fishing. It’s rare that I ever keep fish.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

While it's on the trailer in your driveway, level it and put the plug in, put a garden hose in it and turn on the water. Lay down under it and look for the leak. If it's a cracked hull, pulled rivet or a weld that split you'll see it quick. If not it's in your plumbing as stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    While it's on the trailer in your driveway, level it and put the plug in, put a garden hose in it and turn on the water. Lay down under it and look for the leak. If it's a cracked hull, pulled rivet or a weld that split you'll see it quick. If not it's in your plumbing as stated above.
    This is how you do it.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member
    Thanks for the input fellas!

I won’t see the boat until this weekend but I want to know in advance, am I filling up both livewells with the plug in the livewells and leave the transom plug out?

My old tin jet had issues like that. It was older though, but still may want to check. Look on the transom and look for small corrosion holes or blistered paint. Apparently, most tins with a jet, have a galvanic issue. When I took it to a dealer, that is the first thing they looked at. I mean no hesitation, just straight to the transom.

14. Member
    Try a new plug first, and make sure it's tight. Plugs can leak. Move up the ladder starting with "cheap and easy" as your first step.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Try a new plug first, and make sure it's tight. Plugs can leak. Move up the ladder starting with "cheap and easy" as your first step.
    That's what fixed the leak in my Panfish 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I have a similar issue with my Tracker, it’s a stick steer Panfish 16. Thing is, mine is intermittent, most times it takes on a little water but other times it’s bone dry. I’ve suspected livewell plumbing, and since I never use it, I’m considering welding shut the fill and drain holes in the hull and yanking out the livewell.

Id much rather have the room inside the boat, and would use a cooler and a bag of ice when I go crappie fishing. It’s rare that I ever keep fish.
    Sometimes the livewell slops water all over the place if we've used it for bream or crappie. I've also thought about removing the livewell.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Quote Originally Posted by Procharged392 View Post
    Thanks for the input fellas!

I won’t see the boat until this weekend but I want to know in advance, am I filling up both livewells with the plug in the livewells and leave the transom plug out?
    I don't think this would tell you if there was a leak in a pump housing or line. That would be between the livewells themselves and the intake on the transom. So if you plugged the livewell intakes from the outside (likely close to where the bilge pump goes in - likely will need to screw off a strainer to get to the intake/drain for the livewells) and put it in the lake and didn't find any water like you have been, that'd confirm that it's a livewell issue.

What people were suggesting above is filling the bilge of the boat with water, putting your plug in like you would if you were going out on the lake (trapping the water in the bilge), and looking around outside the boat for water leaking out. That would tell you if you have a loose seam or leaking rivet(s) and where they are.

For the record, I think it's a leak in the livewell plumbing somewhere.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Im going against the stream here, im gonna vote a crack in the hull

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    The bilge plug on my Champion will leak if I don't lubricate it with some water or spit before I screw it in. No lube, bilge pumps come on all day. Lube, non issue.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    The bilge plug on my Champion will leak if I don't lubricate it with some water or spit before I screw it in. No lube, bilge pumps come on all day. Lube, non issue.
    Excellent advice. I always wet my plug before inserting and tightening it. A dry plug will seep water at times. Start with the plug, and then move forward checking the bilge area while in the water. I had water in the bilge of my Sabre FTD on a few trips. I tightened all the hose clamps, and resealed the livewell hull fitting. No more water. Also make sure it's not just a case of water getting in through the bilge vent fittings from backwash when you com off plane too fast.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"