Thread: New Ultra 126

Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Thumbs Up New Ultra 126

Well recieved my UP 126 on Friday, finished install Friday night but got to be to late to get up and head out to the lake to try it out. So ended up doing it this morning. Setup everything at home that could be done. First impression was WOW!!!! Awesome unit and that much better than the Echomap Plus units i have that i really like. Very easy to navigate the menus, make adjustments, etc......as for the "new" screen type, i didnt see a whole lot of difference, but i'll say that not matter what screen there is, if the sun is out blazing, it will be difficult to see the screen which was the case for me today......this unit is on the console so really no adjusting the screen.....

Few observations: when mounting the unit in the cradle, it can not be "straight" up/down or it will not fit in the cradle due to the knobs, so you must rotate cradle a click or two up for it to work. The new style of cradle latching is great and of course the unit is pretty solid and heavy so it had to be of a different design. Unit response in changing screens, views, etc. was pretty fast.

Sleeping device: When they added this option to the 9" units there is a bug that when coming out of "sleep" mode, the sonar(s) would freeze and you had to reboot the unit. On the 12 it did not do that, sonar picked up right away. Hopefully they will correct that with the 9" units.

Sonar/Clear Vu: Have the GT15 as shoot thur and GT30 on jackplate....while running on plan, the GT30 is out of the water therefore should not be any "image" on clear vu. Well notice today that there is a faint line showing the bottom while running which i found odd but not sure why...only thing i could think of is that sonar is displaying with clear vu somehow someway.....see pic below.

Resolution: Alot better than the 9" units but of course its a bigger screen so it will increase. Very please with it.

My plan is to get a 10" unit for the by end of the year.

Garmin has hit a homerun with these units.

Clearvu while running on plan.

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    Very nice! I look forward to hearing more as you have more time on the water.

3. Member
    Good information. It appears the ClearVü uses the GT15 for a reference depth?? Keep us updated

4. Member
    Jeremy: I believe you’ve used GPSMap units in the past. Could you summarize what features/capabilities the GPSMap units have that the EchoMap Ultra units do not?

I’m on the fence between these new GPSMap 126 Ultra units and the GPSMap 86xx units, but I’m struggling to distinguish the different capabilities between the two.

Many thanks.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

5. Member
    Ignore my above post. Just realized Garmin has a compare feature on their full website, doesn’t show up on the mobile version.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No, i have not ran the GPSmap series......the big things that differ is radar, stuff for sailboats, nmea 2000 options....

7. Banned
    Thanks for the report. Curious how the cradle works for you. Did not relize they had a cradle until I opened the box. Installer was leary of the cradle so going a different route.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Cradle works great....easy concept and unit removes from cradle with no issues.....i acutally like the cradle cause i remove my units when not fishing. I do think the latching style if better than the cradle for the 9" units but never had an issue them.