Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nitro z8 vs Legend Alpha 191

Want to get back into a glass boat. About to go look at these 2 used boats. Both 2011 and both appear to be in great shape via pictures. Nitro has Merc 200 and Legend has Merc 150. Legend is 1000 more but includes Ultrex instead of Fortrex. Similar electronics. Wanting something better in the wind local and for Toledo Bend/ Lake Fork when I get the chance to go. I currently have a 1999 Xpress x-56 so either should be quite an upgrade. Thanks in advance

2. Banned
    I'd go Nitro... Faster is always better... Dan

3. Member
    Legend is what I wouild lean towards. Wasn't impressed at the Z8's I've looked at.

I love my z8, mine has more HP but it surprises me when it gets truly bad out.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Both are great boats. I believe I would look into support on the Legend as they are no longer in business. Parts will probably still be available for the Nitro.
    I don't see the larger engine on the Nitro as a help in speed as much as carrying a load better and throttle response when it gets rough on the Bend.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    Legend warranty work is still being done at any white river marine group location or approved shop. The legend is hands down the best between your choices. All fiberglass with no cheapass plastic trim pieces. Parts are readily available at greatlakesskipper.com.

7. Member
    Thanks for the response's. My main concern is fishability. Nitro is a foot longer but everything Ive ever heard about Legend is they were great in rough water/wind. Nitro has a dual axle trailer/Legend on a single axle. Just a quick nada search shows Legend 5000 higher in value. Don't think warranty comes into play being I will not be original owner.
    And the Toledo Bend/Fork trips will be just a few times a year. They will also be made around the weather. Not going to either in high winds. Just would like to be able to stay if the weather man was wrong like last time I went in my 18 foot xpress
    Last edited by snoopy; 06-24-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Nitro, no doubt about it. Larger with a larger outboard and they're still in business for a reason. Guys saying buy a boat made by a company no longer in business are insane.

9. Member
    the nada is out of wack on some brands you could always buy a new legend off a dealers lot or less than nada showed the used value to be .

10. Member
    Both are underpowered.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

11. Member
    BOTH ARE OUT OF WARRANTY SO WARRANTY DOES NOT MATTER LOL

If you get the nitro, make sure to do the warranty transfer. Hull warranty is lifetime to original owner only, unless they have changed it.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Nitro, no doubt about it. Larger with a larger outboard and they're still in business for a reason. Guys saying buy a boat made by a company no longer in business are insane.
    Tell that to Champion owners!

14. Member
    only original owner gets lifetime warranty on hull of nitro second owner drops to 5 years 3rd owner notta nuttin

15. Member
    Neither unless your going to re-power. The Legends are a great rough water ride, and blows Nitro out of the water on fit and finish. Anyone that argues that has net been in a Legend.

16. Member
    I just sold my friend's (he passed away recently) Legend Alpha 191 with a 225 Pro XS. I also have a Nitro Z9 with a 250 Pro XS. Let me tell you, I was always impressed with the way the Legend got up on plane QUICKLY! That boat just felt different (in a good way) every time I got in it. I love my Nitro, but still have to speak highly of that Legend! Was a great boat!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smghaley View Post
    Tell that to Champion owners!
    And Stratos and Javelin!

18. Member
    Nitro for sure. I have been in Legends and Nitro's. Dual trailer is a big advantage and your getting a 200 vs 150. Its not even close to me. Legend is good in the rough water other than getting wet. The Nitro will do fine in the rough water too.

19. Bobby8
    How’s your back? Ihave ridden in all the major brands and Nitro is the worst ride there is. Theysell a lot of Nitro’s because they are cheap. Cheap and nice rides generally don’t mix…………

20. Member
    Holy crap that like comparing a yugo to a cadillac. Get the Legend but find one with a 200. 150 is way too small for that boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast