Do I need a different setup??

I have 2, 34 blue tops in series for my cranking battery. I run 4 lowrance units, power poles, hydrowave and structure scan 3D box. Battery needs to be jumped after fishing for 3 or 4 hours. It’s on a 2010 Ranger Z521. It does have a jump switch. It has 3, 31 blue tops for trolling motor. Battery’s all test over 100 with a blue point load tester after being charged. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Member
    I would say you need to upgrade to 1 group 31 AGM. I run 2 HDS 12's, 1 Helix 10, nmea2k with Point 1, 2 PP blades, oxygenator, and aerator and can fish all day. Since the battery is pulling double duty (cranking and accessories), you have to have sufficient cranking amps as well as sufficient reserve capacity to accomplish those tasks. Over many years of doing this, I have run the gambit. I finally decided I was getting to old to be changing out batteries on a regular basis. On my last 2 boats, I have run a Northstar NSB-AGM-31M. It is $$$, but the only other battery that has comparable specs is the group 31 made by Johnson Controls (can't think of the name). The Northstar that I run also makes the same battery for BatteriesPlus called an X-2. A cheaper alternative that I have heard good things about, but do not have any personal experience is the Duracell 31AGM sold by Sam's for about $180. I get my Northstar batteries at batteryguys.com.

X2 31 agm... its sweet
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    #1 - I’m willing to bet your batteries are not in series.
    #2 - Grp. 34 is small you say you have two - they have to wired parallel - Should be close in performance to a single X2 relative to reserve capacity. 100min.x2=200 the X2 has 220.

Probably time for new battery(s). Full charge the load test at one of the parts houses.

Your right I don’t know why I said series. But they are only 2 years old and I have a expensive snap on load tester.

6. Member
    Test over 100 - what? Also are you testing single battery or as they are installed. Double check cables and connections. What data do you provide to load tester prior to testing?

Does the snap-on load tester have the ability to diagnose or simply applies load manually. Can it load - rest - record battery rebound x 3 cycles? Then provide final analysis?

It sounds like you’re only getting the performance of a single battery. 100 mins. Reserve capacity.

The tester just test volts, loads battery and gives you a percentage. I checked it when I got back and it was at 8.9 volts and 30 percent. I checked them before I left and they were at 13.8 volts and 120 percent. I am testing batteries installed and I have double checked and cleaned all connections.

8. Member
    8.9v charge both batteries. However you do that. Then disconnect the batteries. Let’em set 24 hrs. Then get readings on each individual battery. Then load test each individual battery. It really sounds like a dead cell in one of them.

Ok I’ll do that thanks for the help. Would you go back with 1, 31 or replace the bad one of those?

10. Member
    My first choice would be lithium - but I don’t have any. $$$$$$$$$$
    My second choice is Batteries Plus X2 - that is what’s in my boat now.

To be frank... ok I’ll be Doug. I would never... ever... consider a 12v marine dual purpose solution that involves more than one battery. It makes no sense to me.

dont misunderstand... they ain’t giving the X2 away but it’s much less than the lithium.

Ok thanks!