Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    I don’t know that it is a “big deal” , a few inches or not, but ranger boats in general have always been know for how well they track with the trolling motor down. If the newer P models ride higher then I assume they may not track as well. I think we understand that aluminum will get blown around versus glass. It was just a question about the newer pad style hulls with which I have never been in.

2. Member
    The thing that I don't understand is, how do they expect 115 hp to lift that hull? A true pad vee boat needs power to really pack air under the strakes and lift the hull out of the water, but with only 115 ponies on the back, I can't see this rig breaking 50mph? Seems a little sad for "pad hull" hype.

3. Member
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t this hull design the same as the Triton Magnums?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpress monster View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t this hull design the same as the Triton Magnums?
    It DOES look a ton like the old Triton Magnum Hull. Just de-rated and sold for more?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarius View Post
    The thing that I don't understand is, how do they expect 115 hp to lift that hull? A true pad vee boat needs power to really pack air under the strakes and lift the hull out of the water, but with only 115 ponies on the back, I can't see this rig breaking 50mph? Seems a little sad for "pad hull" hype.
    Same here. Especially with dual power poles loaded down with gear it wont be any faster than the mod v just not enough ponies. Idk why it just looks heavy in the pics. Sharp boat tho i like alot of the changes. Should run a 150 on this hull and a 175 on the 198p. The sky did fall for some tho cuz the nose sits a couple inches higher tho so sales probly gonna go down wont be the best boat ever “with the trolling motor down” anymore.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 09-18-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Same here. Especially with dual power poles loaded down with gear it wont be any faster than the mod v just not enough ponies. Idk why it just looks heavy in the pics. Sharp boat tho i like alot of the changes. Should run a 150 on this hull and a 175 on the 198p. The sky did fall for some tho cuz the nose sits a couple inches higher tho so sales probly gonna go down wont be the best boat ever “with the trolling motor down” anymore.
    "With the trolling motor down" that's so silly. My Gambler is pointed sky high when I'm behind the console, but when I climb up on the front deck, especially with a buddy, it levels right out. I imagine this boat would do the same. I agree, in that it does look sharp, it looks more like a true "tournament" boat to me-but hey, that's just my opinion.

7. Member
    I can almost guarantee it’s the old Magnum hull. In one video, The dude says “Ranger redesigned the back of the boat.” LOL! No, I’m not bashing Ranger boat company. Not sure why Triton stop selling the magnums, but they’re very nice boats.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpress monster View Post
    I can almost guarantee it’s the old Magnum hull. In one video, The dude says “Ranger redesigned the back of the boat.” LOL! No, I’m not bashing Ranger boat company. Not sure why Triton stop selling the magnums, but they’re very nice boats.
    I expect he was talking about moving the fuel tank under the seats to create more space in the back for batteries and pumps.

9. JCWbassmaster
    Were all the speculations and theories correct about the new hull being more unstable and slower? Really looking hard at the 188 and 188P. What is the real world verdict?

10. Member
    Never seen anyone mount the transom tie down directly to the jackplate/transom
    2019 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury ProXs 115hp FourStroke
    Spitfire s/s x7 19p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    Atlas Hydraulic Jp 4" setback
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 Dash & Bow

11. Member
    Boats looks great. Looks like it will be a good rig with the 115.

I just fished my 188P at lake of the ozarks big bass bash last weekend. Surprisingly handled the lake fine and fished as stable as any other aluminum bass boat out there. Of course, I would of preferred glass on that lake but the 188P works best for me with my nearby lakes at home. Its still good enough to handle bigger water as long as a guy drives with some sense and works with the current conditions. Even with all the weight sitting off the transom and in the bilge I have, I don’t notice the bow high instability that seems to be a hot topic.
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360

13. Member
    According to the Ranger website, the difference is about $1,700.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Derek View Post
    The current rt188 and rt198p are $5k difference in base price. Unless the price of the rt198p is going up significantly I can't see how the rt188p could be priced 5k more than the current rt188.

14. Member
    I never understood some peoples big deal with how the bow sits. If the nose sits a few inches higher it does absolutely nothing to the fishability of the boat its a tin youre gonna get blown around period. If i liked the layout better of the p model the fact that it may sit a few iches higher at the bow would certainly not be the reason i settle on layout
    As one who flips and pitches almost always, the closer I can get to the water the better my presentation.

15. Member
    Back from the dead!
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

16. Member

Standard 2017 RT188 Dual Console with a 115 ProXS 4S, no jack plate turning a 20 LaserII. I have not seen where the "P" is faster. It should ride better with more dead rise up front but a whole bunch of that will depend on the driver. I took this picture about a month ago.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 04-29-2023 at 07:07 PM.

17. Member
    I know, right... I agree. You would think that they could figure out how to make a boat easy to balance where the front does not feel like you are standing on a hill. It sort of reminds me of the Tracker problem they have with the nose sitting so high at rest. Like standing on a hill all day and fishing. I like to be closer to the water. Easier to fish and the wind does not blow you around as bad with the front end lower.

Mt RT188 sits about perfectly level at rest. I have not fished out of this exact boat but I fished out of a Tracker 190 a pretty good bit and it looks similar. I am a pretty big guy but that thing still had the nose up with me up front. My RT is like standing on the floor in my den....level as can be.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlumaPro View Post
    Never seen anyone mount the transom tie down directly to the jackplate/transom

those tie downs are for the travel cover. it's same thing on my rt198p

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234