Neutral Safety Switch question

My 98 Johnson has been acting weird while starting.
    Took it to the lake about a mile away to test start and got it started fine.
    Wife and I decided to take it to bigger lake and it wouldnt start. Just cranked and seemed like it got flooded like No Spark.
    A week later, took it to close lake and couldnt get it started. Got back to driveway and looked under the hood to check all wiring.
    The only thing that I really touched was the neutral safety switch to make sure it wasnt stuck or anything.
    So I decided to check cranking voltage and hooked up meter. Went to crank and it fired like it was going to start.
    Hooked up the muffs in driveway and got it to start on first crank.
    Ran it down to the lake and it ran beautiful.
    So while it was in the driveway and I was doing the voltage test on the starter, I left the throttle arm in upright position and it started. This is NOT my normal starting procedure.
    Or maybe I have been doing it wrong for the first 6 yrs I've had this boat by pulling out on the arm and advancing it forward to start.
    So does it sound like it could be a bad safety switch at this point?
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

Sounds like it could be the neutral switch sticking, could also be a bad connection at the key switch. The wires on the back of the switch can break, inside the insulator, at the connectors from all of the flexing the cables does.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    You didn’t mention model/serial# but I believe that ‘98 should have the ‘Quik-Start’ feature that advances the timing & idle RPMs to help it warm up. But by moving the throttle-in-neutral lever - you have been cancelling it out. It does sound like a sticking switch or cables need adjusting due to aging.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Which style control box do you have? Concealed side mount with chrome handle or surface mount? It sounds like the chrome handle concealed mount to me if you have to pull out the handle to activate the warm up function. To get to the neutral safety switch you'd have to remove the control from the boat to gain access to the switch.