Thread: Battery drain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Test for a draw circuit first. Use a test light by removing the Neg battery terminal and then hook the alligator clip to the wire and touch the point to the neg post with the point of the light. If the light comes on, then you have a draw somewhere. Now, Attach the point to the neg terminal. I use a hose clamp and stick the point between the terminal and the clamp. So, now go to your fuse box and pull the fuses out one at a time. If the light stays on, replace that fuse and go to the next one. When the light goes out, that's the circuit that is bad somewhere. Test all of them just to make sure you only have one bad circuit. Now you have to start checking all connections in that circuit. If it's not a MAJOR circuit, I'd run with it for a day and see if your problem still exists. It can be a tedious task, but at least you have a starting place. Sometimes, it's easiest to just replace that whole wire run, like if it's the power wire to the fish finder, and wire it directly to the battery cut off switch.
    Thank you very much, I followed your procedure and found a draw in my lights circuit. Yanked the fuse and test light went out. I can deal with pulling and installing the fuse when/if I need to run lights. Just gotta remember to pull the fuse until I can get it fixed correctly

2. Member
    Thank you everybody who chimed in with advice! I appreciate the time you took trying to help me out!

3. Member
    Some boats have lights in the hatches. Some use Mercury switches to turn these on and off when you open them. Some times these switches do not shut the light off. Been there, done that. You need to put a dwarf in the hatch and close it, see if the lights go off. Most dwarfs are very busy checking refrigerator switches to make sure those lights go off so you may have a hard time finding one. I know 7 are employed by Walt Disney studios, maybe you can find one there with some spare time that wants to make a few bucks.
    Just a suggestion.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Some boats have lights in the hatches. Some use Mercury switches to turn these on and off when you open them. Some times these switches do not shut the light off. Been there, done that. You need to put a dwarf in the hatch and close it, see if the lights go off. Most dwarfs are very busy checking refrigerator switches to make sure those lights go off so you may have a hard time finding one. I know 7 are employed by Walt Disney studios, maybe you can find one there with some spare time that wants to make a few bucks.
    Just a suggestion.
    Unemployment for light checking dwarf's is .2% at this time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12