Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Got Lucky, new 2019 175 Pro XS

Two weeks ago I blew my 2000 Mercury 175 EFI which I purchased new in 2000. I wasn't even really mad as I got 19 hard years out of it without any issues ever. It even blew up close to the ramp for me. I immediately called around about the new Pro XS and just like i read here, nobody had one and Jaco's told me that Mercury wasn't making any more 175hp until next year. I had a few minutes to kill yesterday so I walked into a local dealership to inquire about a Yamaha. Turns out they are just a service center for Yamaha and don't even sell them. I told him I really wanted the Mercury anyway but I can't get one. He said "I have one, just got it in". He took me around back and showed it to me still in the crate. I immediately handed him a credit card for the deposit.

It will be a couple of weeks before it is installed. What do I need to be thinking about or aware of and are there any requirements that my older boat will not have to make this transition work? I am already strongly considering hydraulic steering unless there is some other unknown big expense. The boat is a 2000 Bumble Bee 180 ProV (18ft). Should I expect the about same performance from the new engine (mid to high 60's)? I currently have a Super Start 27MS which is made by East Penn and has 840 CCA and 182RC. Is this enough? Serial number of new motor is 2B638717. What do I do with the old motor? It is of no value to the dealer, but my mechanic said there are valuable parts on it.

2. Member
    as much as you're spending on a new motor, go ahead and spend a little more and get the hydraulic Steering, it's worth it
    The new motor should be a touch faster, but holeshot and mid-range will blow you away, you'll love it.
    Call duck river Marine, he'll buy your blown motor
    Last edited by nowakezone; 06-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.

3. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    What you really need with all that luck is a lottery ticket!!!

4. Member
    Is your battery an AGM? I have the same motor and it requires an AGM battery.

5. Member
    Thanks for your reply, i am looking forward to driving it. A friend of mine just bought a motor from Duck River, ill give them a call.

6. Member
    Thanks, this is the kind of info i am looking for. My battery is not an AGM, I didn't get one because I read that it wasn't good for the EFI motor. I had no idea it was required on the new one.

Part the old motor out on eBay.

8. Member
    Your old battery barely exceeds engine only requirements, please take a few minutes and read the battery topic in the FAQ at top of this forum.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I'd want a bigger battery unless you have no electronics and never run a livewell pump. Like others said, I think that new fourstrokes require an AGM battery. The dealer installing it should know and it would be in the owners manual.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Your old battery barely exceeds engine only requirements, please take a few minutes and read the battery topic in the FAQ at top of this forum.
    Nope... it doesn't even barely meet them.

The 175 V6 requires an AGM Battery of at least 975 CCA Rating.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I need to wipe my glasses off once in a while.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    You need to be thinking bout buying a lottery ticket.

13. Member
    Sorry. I see someone beat me to this suggestion. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroplane View Post
    Two weeks ago I blew my 2000 Mercury 175 EFI which I purchased new in 2000. I wasn't even really mad as I got 19 hard years out of it without any issues ever. It even blew up close to the ramp for me. I immediately called around about the new Pro XS and just like i read here, nobody had one and Jaco's told me that Mercury wasn't making any more 175hp until next year. I had a few minutes to kill yesterday so I walked into a local dealership to inquire about a Yamaha. Turns out they are just a service center for Yamaha and don't even sell them. I told him I really wanted the Mercury anyway but I can't get one. He said "I have one, just got it in". He took me around back and showed it to me still in the crate. I immediately handed him a credit card for the deposit.

It will be a couple of weeks before it is installed. What do I need to be thinking about or aware of and are there any requirements that my older boat will not have to make this transition work? I am already strongly considering hydraulic steering unless there is some other unknown big expense. The boat is a 2000 Bumble Bee 180 ProV (18ft). Should I expect the about same performance from the new engine (mid to high 60's)? I currently have a Super Start 27MS which is made by East Penn and has 840 CCA and 182RC. Is this enough? Serial number of new motor is 2B638717. What do I do with the old motor? It is of no value to the dealer, but my mechanic said there are valuable parts on it.
    Great find. Please report back on the performance of the new engine. Seems like a great engine. I'd go with the SeaStar Pro hydraulic system on that setup. I bet you'll be a faster with the new ProXS, you can raise your engine a little higher because of the low water pickups.

15. Member
    Thanks! I did order the SeaStar steering and got the group 31 X2 Power AGM battery as suggested. I asked them to run the smartcraft cable and leave it under the console so I can add the Mercmonitor after they are done as I need to move and delete some gauges and want to do it myself. I dropped the boat off Saturday and they said about 2 weeks to get it installed and back to me. I will report back when I get it all set up and see what it will do. BTW, I also purchased a lottery ticket and did not win. My luck has returned to normal.

I would rethink the steering and consider U-Flex, as it is a tighter more robust system
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I would rethink the steering and consider U-Flex, as it is a tighter more robust system
    Well, close. Actually a specific MERCURY Cylinder that is made specifically for Merc, by U-flex. Not quite the same cylinder.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

You have to be more specific, Uflex makes a bunch of models, as does SeaStar. The SeaStar Pro and SeaStar Tournament, is best for high performance, as it they have lock valves, virtually no play. The Uflex SilverSteer is the competitive product to the SeaStar Pro and Tournament. You can't say Uflex is a tighter more robust system without being specific, and it's not necessarily. The SilverSteer is really good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    You have to be more specific, Uflex makes a bunch of models, as does SeaStar. The SeaStar Pro and SeaStar Tournament, is best for high performance, as it they have lock valves, virtually no play. The Uflex SilverSteer is the competitive product to the SeaStar Pro and Tournament. You can't say Uflex is a tighter more robust system without being specific, and it's not necessarily. The SilverSteer is really good though.
    Yes I can, as it would be up to the buyer to be sure to purchase what is correct for their application. For a Merc I would call Rhonda at European Marine and she will take care of for you, no heavy thinking on making a decision
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Yes I can, as it would be up to the buyer to be sure to purchase what is correct for their application. For a Merc I would call Rhonda at European Marine and she will take care of for you, no heavy thinking on making a decision
    No, you can't technically. You could if you were talking about a specific product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast