Mercury 150 4s fault

Model:1150f23hd
    serial: 1b987050
    So my boat was sitting for 6 weeks and finally got around to getting her started. It took about 20 minutes of cranking to get it fired up but ran fine for a few minutes shut it down and left. Yesterday I went to crank it over and I can’t get it to start. Starter engages then stops and I get a fault 67 on the mercmonitor. What could be happening to cause this problem? Starter is fine, the battery was tested and it shows ok , I was told it’s on the last 25% of its life. I will try and attach pics of the code. I am hoping I can fix this.
    thanks
    Marc

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    How many volts is your battery reading? And what battery is it?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    Now that I look at it , the battery is a cheap local make with a CCa of 625 only. It’s the same battery I’ve had since I got the boat 4 years ago. I’ll replace it and see what happens. I don’t know how that would cause a critical code . I can’t post the pic but it reads “ Critical Start sequence aborted”

4. Member
    Make sure you read the battery recommendations in the FAQ at top of this forum!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremewelder View Post
    Now that I look at it , the battery is a cheap local make with a CCa of 625 only. It’s the same battery I’ve had since I got the boat 4 years ago. I’ll replace it and see what happens. I don’t know how that would cause a critical code . I can’t post the pic but it reads “ Critical Start sequence aborted”
    I don't know what the codes mean or how to define a "critical start sequence" but it does seem reasonable that an old, under powered batter might lead to that. At 4 years, it was probably due replacement anyway.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fault 67 is a Fuel Injector Fault.

Start with the battery- and definitely UPGRADE considerably in terms of capacity.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I replaced it with brand new one with 1000 ca and 850 cca and it’s sending the same code. Maybe I need to clean the fuel injectors and try again. Is that something I can do Don or should I send them in?

thanks
    Marc

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Neither at this point. Need to get the engine on the G3-2019 CDS, for PRINTOUTS or SAVED FILES of the Run History, Fault Seconds, and Freeze Frame. Information in these reports will help to narrow down which CIRCUIT to focus on (it is an ELECTRICAL problem).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Ok thank you Don I’ll find a dealer.

10. Member
    Don had the computer read and they replaced a sensor on the crank shaft and sent me on my way. Took the boat out in the ocean Saturday and the motor sounds great, fires right up but as soon as I push it past 2400 rpms it starts to bog down. Almost feels like it’s misfiring . Are the two issues related? I didn’t have a single issue till that sensor went out.
    thanks.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not sure why the Crank Position Sensor would be replaced, but it sounds like the engine is either still in Guardian, OR the PCM is perceiving that the TRIM is set TOO HIGH (which will limit you to approximately 2500 RPM's).

12. Member
    Ok that makes sense. Thanks Don. I’m dragging to back two hours to have them look at it again.

13. Member
    I have seen where the trim sensor is misreading due to the trim sensor magnet in the trim unit rust out and malfunctions. Visual inspection may help. Since you are in saltwater, it’s a possibility.

6460A519-37DA-49CA-A30E-96F512E14B7B.jpeg
    Last edited by leonreno; 07-30-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay