08 Cougar re-power

I have read through countless threads and not seeing what I figured would be a common question. I have an 08 Cougar that I decided to keep and just update. I recently upgraded the TM, all new graphs, converted to 36 volt, all new batteries and charger. Now to start looking into re-power to the new Merc 250 pro V8. Can someone that has repowerd give me an idea of a turn key re-power.
    2008 BC Cougar w/ 250 Pro xs

We do not suggest repower in most boats as the cost is a significant portion of the purchase price. The more that is invested in these manners the closer you get to a simple replacement.

In terms of affordability issues we certainly understand that compromise. However we often see a re-power after graph and trolling upgrades, which turns into a boat thought and making that last stretch unfeasible do to not having the reduced cost of a package on all the parts added at MSRP plus the dealerships higher proportionate labor costs.

BCB

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We do not suggest repower in most boats as the cost is a significant portion of the purchase price. The more that is invested in these manners the closer you get to a simple replacement.

In terms of affordability issues we certainly understand that compromise. However we often see a re-power after graph and trolling upgrades, which turns into a boat thought and making that last stretch unfeasible do to not having the reduced cost of a package on all the parts added at MSRP plus the dealerships higher proportionate labor costs.

BCB
    I thought of selling and ordering a new one, but had no serious buyers after a couple months. After looking at new comparable Cougars it was going to be about 70k equipped. So I decided to just keep her and do the upgrades myself other than the re-power. I have completed the Ultrex, 2 10" megas, converted to 36 volt and 4 bank charger. By my guesstimate if the re-power cost me 18k and the upgrades already done at 6500 that brings it up to $24,500. Still much less than 70k.
    Last edited by ButchP; 06-23-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ButchP View Post
    I have read through countless threads and not seeing what I figured would be a common question. I have an 08 Cougar that I decided to keep and just update. I recently upgraded the TM, all new graphs, converted to 36 volt, all new batteries and charger. Now to start looking into re-power to the new Merc 250 pro V8. Can someone that has repowerd give me an idea of a turn key re-power.
    I also have an 08 Cougar and blew my power head this winter . I wound up rebuilding my E Tec but would've bought a new Merc 250 in a heart beat if it wouldn't have been an 8 month wait on that motor to all of the dealers in my area . Real world pricing I believe was about 18K for the motor and probably another grand for rigging and then TTL . Im guessing a little over 20K out the door because you already have mercury controls . Im def gonna repower when it comes time , NO WAY IN HELL im gonna pay 70K for a boat and motor when all I need is the 20K motor but that's just the way I think .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

We more than agree with that Gun Runner.

Though in many cases we see a wheel and tire upgrade, new graphs and an Ultrex, then we see that increased again with an engine. After that they start looking at new seats and carpeting.

Before they get done that number climbs quick.

6. Member
    I think that the issue of re-powering is whether you are in love with the hull, and plan on keeping it at least another five years. If so, then financially it may make sense. If you think that there is any possibility of you wanting a newer boat within that time frame, then it is probably not a good idea to re-power with new. There is also the option of hanging a newer, gently used engine, and one with some warranty remaining.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ButchP View Post
    If I were in your shoes I would wait another six months to a year on your re-power (you will get a better deal on a new outboard and your making sure their are no major issues with those new V8's). How many hours are on your 250 pro xs? It's a sellers market if you got a really clean used bass boat that will fall in the mid-upper 20's price range. I saw two Cougars recently sell within 2-3 days, a 2010 & a 2008.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

BCB
    Whats the base price of a cougar with absolutely nothing on it, just boat and motor? I'm in the same position as the OP.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    If I were in your shoes I would wait another six months to a year on your re-power (you will get a better deal on a new outboard and your making sure their are no major issues with those new V8's). How many hours are on your 250 pro xs? It's a sellers market if you got a really clean used bass boat that will fall in the mid-upper 20's price range. I saw two Cougars recently sell within 2-3 days, a 2010 & a 2008.
    I had it up for sale a couple months ago and didn't get any serious buyers or wanted it below wholesale. So I took it off the market to just keep it and update. I installed a new Ultrex Ipilot mega, new g3n up front, 36 volt system, new 4 bank charger and stereo system. The boat is in great shape as well as the motor. It has approximately 250 hrs on it. I had it priced at 26k before I did the upgrades and the low book is 27.4k.

I have my name on the list for a new V8 250 but I know there's no guarantees on time line.

In the mean time, I may go ahead and get some new seats...lol, may as well keep up with the stereo typical.
    Last edited by ButchP; 06-28-2019 at 08:27 AM.