Trailer brake issue/help

Coming home from fishing yesterday my port side brake made a loud bang/klunk sound and I could feel it almost lock that tire up, it actually did skid a tiny bit. It just happened about 1/4 mile from home, no issue the whole time until then. Finished the drive home slowly, every time I touched the brakes it would make the same noise and really slow that tire. I took both drums off and inspected the shoes and mechanisms. No visual issue. I installed new loaded backing plates last summer and flushed the fluid. Brakes worked perfectly until that one instance. Adjusted the brakes a little and put them back together but that one side still does it. Working on them again today instead of fishing like planned,. Any advice is much appreciated. I can usually fix anything right away but this is weird. Maybe I overlooked something yesterday.
    Last edited by Idaho Sandman; 06-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

I had a trailer that did that and it broke one of the caliper mounting bolts from the axle. Make sure both are tight.
    Last edited by Danrude; 06-23-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    ^ Thanks. I’ll check that. Ended up being voluntold to do some other things by the wife. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    ^ Thanks. I’ll check that. Ended up being voluntold to do some other things by the wife. Lol.

"voluntold", lol lol lol !!! i'm well familiar with THAT term !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Never heard that term used but know the meaning well!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

6. Member
    Check the other side. Since you have drums, adjustment is critical. Also, drums or rotors can get rusty which will make them grab until the rust buffs off. If only one side is working the other wheel could lock up.

7. Member
    Update:
    Couldn't physically see any issue. Completely disassembled both brake shoes and parts. Inspected everything. Reassembled the brakes, adjusted them and took the trailer for a short test drive. Problem is gone. So strange. Shoes must have been catching on the drum somehow is all I can think of. Hopefully it doesn’t come back. Thanks for the ideas on what else to look for.