Amazing what you can learn from the manual

I normally read the manuals for stuff I buy, but have to admit that when I bought the boat I didn't read all the manuals for the various components that were on it. Include the brakes in that category.

The manual for the truck advised using tow mode to reduce wear on the truck brakes while going down grades. I would do that on long grades if I didn't already have it on. It didn't occur to me that wouldn't be good for the trailer brakes. After reading the DB35 manual for my hub project it specifically says NOT to use tow mode going down grades with surge brakes, that it is better to pump the brakes.

I guess it is never too late to learn.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    My boss complained about the surge brakes activating going down hill without pressing on the brakes. Told him that was not possible in a automatic equipped vehicle in overdrive. He forgot to mention he was downshifting to control the decent. Well duh!! Wonder why the trailer brakes were overheating going down 8 mile grade in the mountains. Always part of the story that you never get told! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.