Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Take a mini bolt cutter and cut the barb off lol simple and done.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Check out his rod. ALX Kelly Jaye Expert Jerkbait rod. 6’9” Med+ Fast 3/8-3/4. 8-18#
    I use one for jerkbaits and one for my Rico. Sweet rod!!
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    Take a mini bolt cutter and cut the barb off lol simple and done.
    Not always that easy, when I had a chatterbait stuck in my face down to the bend of the hook the barb was imbedded. Even after numbing the area no one could get the hook to move either direction, ended up having to use a scalpel to cut it out.

Depending on where it is or what it went thru it is not always so easy to remove.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Originally Posted by 86 inches
    Check out his rod. ALX Kelly Jaye Expert Jerkbait rod. 6’9” Med+ Fast 3/8-3/4. 8-18#

I'm never surprised at the "Sleuthing Ability of That Segment on the BBC" they can do a complete forensic breakdown of photos and find out the the facts in the midst of threads filled with speculation and gossip.
    No. The rod is obvious. Piece of cake to spot that one. Real sleuthing would spot the hospital ID band on his left wrist. Ha Ha Ha!

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Hope he is one of the independently wealthy ones on tour because that ride and ER bill is gonna be about 8K
    Actually, he still works a job like everyone else. But, probably has good health insurance.
    Last edited by JohnD.; 06-24-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Not always that easy, when I had a chatterbait stuck in my face down to the bend of the hook the barb was imbedded. Even after numbing the area no one could get the hook to move either direction, ended up having to use a scalpel to cut it out.

Depending on where it is or what it went thru it is not always so easy to remove.
    I had a squarebill hit me in the face and the hooks went through my cheek into my mouth. They had to cut skin and hook both as just cutting the hook was not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post

That's pretty much right. I've removed hundreds over my career in the ED and several on the lake. After seeing the one I had yesterday, I threw a scalpel on the tray because I thought it might come to that. It was a small trout-size treble that he had snipped at the throat leaving just a small segment at the beginning of the bend exposed. Didn't think I would be able to grab it with a needle driver. Surprisingly, I did manage to get a good hold of it and popped the barb out. It was a lucky combo of soft skin (he was a young kid) and a sharp hook. A little lido and no crying. Told him this story after the excitement died down...

... years ago my buddy buried a 5/0 Gammy spinnerbait hook into his finger. We were on the lake and I didn't carry any lido back then. He opted to go for it. I grabbed a pair of needle nose out of the tool box and began the torture on my tailgate. At first it didn't want to go...it just wouldn't pop through the skin. He's a big tough guy and was pounding his other fist on the tailgate, cursing, screaming and turning pale. It seemed like an eternity but eventually, it popped through. But when I grabbed my linesman, I couldn't cut that steel no matter how hard I squeezed. Ended up mashing the barb down and rolling it out backwards. Oh man, he was hurting! Even puked a couple of times. Looked like it was up there on par with a kidney stone. But he survived and we went on fishing. We laugh about it all the time now.

I learned to always carry some lido and a syringe and a Knipex linesman in my boat after that deal.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Thats the rod I’ve been dreaming about for a few weeks now!

This is an occupational hazard for him but it does make me feel a little better about the hook stories I have!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I had a squarebill hit me in the face and the hooks went through my cheek into my mouth. They had to cut skin and hook both as just cutting the hook was not enough.
    My old co-worker took a pico perch to the hard cartilage part of the ear, had to cut it out on the water, it made a crunching sound

10. Member
    If you arrive by ambulance you straight in to a room; you are not triage'd and put in line with everyone sitting in the waiting room with the flu.

Also: No sane EMT or Paramedic would ever remove an impaled object from a hand in the field; it would be your license. Except me, because I'm retiring in a few months anyway!

I would say he got some sound advice that going to ER by ambulance was the fastest way for him to get back on the water.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    If you arrive by ambulance you straight in to a room; you are not triage'd and put in line with everyone sitting in the waiting room with the flu.

We have delivered many patients straight to the waiting room/triage area at numerous hospitals here. Things like sprained fingers, sunburns, etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234