Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

07 Triton Tr-186 terrible holeshot and porpoising

I’ve got a 07 186 w a 175 Optimax, Currently have a 6 inch Pro Hi Jacker JP, running a 24p tempest plus prop at a height of 3.5 below pad. The original owner had it set 5 inches below the pad and I raised the motor up. Without livewells full and a full tank of gas and partner the boat takes between 8-10 seconds to get on plane. The boat runs strong once in plane and will hit a top speed of 58-59 right now and 60-61 in the cold weather. I have 2 10ft Talons and 4 batteries in the transom area. The boat doesn’t chine and I can hit maximum trim and RPM at full speed. I’m currently running the prop with 2 of the 3 PVS plugs out. It also porpoises pretty bad at low speeds regardless of trim angle. Any ideas or recommendations would be helpful. I’d love to improve the holeshot and porpoising first as they greatly impact the ride quality. Has anyone used a hydrofoil with good luck?
    Thanks,
    Jordan

2. Member
    Jordan, I would not use a hydrofoil on your setup, just continue to find the sweet spot on the motor height to pad ratio until it stops porpoising. Play with the PVS on the prop. I have a 06 -186 w 150 Opti and a 23 p tempest plus and I run the same as your numbers. You should run at least 3 mph faster . With the right setup your numbers will improve by 3-4 mph and the porpoising should stop.

3. Member
    Move some weight to the front of the boat if you can. Probably getting drag from so much weight in the back. I had the same problem. 2 power poles and their pump, three batteries, full live wells, full gas tank and most of the time 2 fat fisherman. It helped my holeshot some by moving some weight up front. I have an 05 Tr 18-6 with a 150 opti.

I have the 08 with a 150 and I make those speeds but I have no pole and one less battery. I think you just I have more weight in the back than that boat was every intended to have.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    For reference the boat had these issues before I added the Talons they just got worse with them. The motor also always wants to hit the limiter and sometimes I get the mercury alarm sounding when I trim up all the way at full speed. Not sure if I should drop the motor more and try 4 inches below pad but everything I’ve heard is that my motor height should be set pretty high. I have all of my rods and heavy tackle stored up front so I cannot put more weight up front. I’ve also experimented with a 25p prop before I added the Talons and I had a higher top speed but lost holeshot so I don’t want to go back to that. Do you think I should try raising the motor and going to the 25p prop?
    Last edited by JordanC; 06-23-2019 at 07:24 PM.

6. Member
    I’m thinking a higher pitch prop will make your holeshot worse. What are your RPM’s outof the hole? If your prop has vent holes, try playing with those first. Unplug/plug the holes to see if that makes a difference.

7. Member
    Typically 3500 when I floor it. Do you think that’s too low?

They make different size pvs plugs for the prop. Takes time and a good spot to get those sized correctly. That is what mostly effects hole shot if the motor is running correctly. Go get you different sizes, find ya a sand bar that has deep water close by, and keep swapping them until you find the happy medium. Too much relief, the prop wont bite and you wont get on plane. Too little relief and you wont be able to turn enough rpms to get up. It just takes a little time to figure out what is the best combo for your particular boat, altitude, load, etc.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

9. Member
    eBay for the plugs?

10. Member
    I’m sure you can get them on EBay. Most outboard shops have them. Make sure to get different sizes. I would get a couple packs of each size. I can’t remember the cost, but they shouldn’t be too expensive. Keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanC View Post
    For reference the boat had these issues before I added the Talons they just got worse with them. The motor also always wants to hit the limiter and sometimes I get the mercury alarm sounding when I trim up all the way at full speed. Not sure if I should drop the motor more and try 4 inches below pad but everything I’ve heard is that my motor height should be set pretty high. I have all of my rods and heavy tackle stored up front so I cannot put more weight up front. I’ve also experimented with a 25p prop before I added the Talons and I had a higher top speed but lost holeshot so I don’t want to go back to that. Do you think I should try raising the motor and going to the 25p prop?
    So you are saying with that 24 and no poles and no 4th battery, it took 8-10 seconds to get on plane? Yesterday, I have a fill livewell and 3/4 a tank of gas and my 150 got me up faster than that. I'd guess a sick motor or a somewhat spun hub in the prop.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    No, I said I had a bad holeshot before but adding the extra weight made it worse. It was around 6 seconds before. My motor screams once I get on plane and runs right to the limiter. No issues either the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanC View Post
    No, I said I had a bad holeshot before but adding the extra weight made it worse. It was around 6 seconds before. My motor screams once I get on plane and runs right to the limiter. No issues either the motor.
    So still bad. Spun hub? If you're over revving the engine something is slipping. Maybe you do have it too high and your just not getting any bite. Try lowering and see what happens.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

14. Member
    I’m going to take it out Friday and pull the last pvs plug and lower it a 1/2 inch to see if that helps. I’ll take some video too. Thanks for all of the advice guys!

15. Member
    I have a 196 with a 200 and found the same problems you describe - poor loaded hole shot and low speed porpoising. Probably the best solution is a Chris Bailey foil but I didn't want to add one. I switched to a lower pitch prop with stern lift and gave up top end performance. My porpoising is not gone completely but is down to a gentle lope from about 26-28 MPH. My best prop is a Bravo 1 with the full flare. The next best is the Rev 4. I run 3" below the pad. If you want it all you probably need the foil based on my experience.

16. Member
    I have a 196 w/ 200 and had the same problems.......but unlike the poster above this - I didn't want to spend $600 on a new prop, so I went with a hydrafoil. Results have been good. ALOT quicker getting on plane, and now I don't even have to mess with the trim - it just pops up and the bow lays right down. No more porpoising at low speeds either. Pretty happy with it - and only spend $100.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

17. Member
    I have the same set up except running a 23 Tempest. 5600 max rpm at 64 with just me and a full tank. With 2 people and full livewell run right at 60 or so. Hole shot is fantastic when alone but kinda slow with 2 people and full load. I have not pulled any of the plugs on the prop yet. These numbers are recent with air temps close to 100 degrees (95 to 97)
    HMC USN RET
    2022 Falcon F195/Merc 200 and all the goodies I could get on it.

18. Member
    I have a 2005 TR-186 with a XR6 150 and I was having problems with slightly slow holeshot and porpoising also. I installed a hydrofoil on mine and it totally solved the problems. It now jumps on plane and I can run slower speeds while planed out as well as virtually eliminated the porpoising. I do think it's down right ugly on there but for me personally mine will stay on...

19. Member
    Can you add a hole shot plate to your jack plate? Before I put the jack plate on with a hole shot plate on my boat it was not too bad out of the hole but was very unstable at top end speeds. Once I put on the jack plate and hole shot plate, it pops right out of the hole and I gained about 4 mph With basically zero chine. It made a big difference at least on my boat.
    Last edited by itsahog; 07-26-2019 at 09:33 AM.

20. Member
    I'd try moving it up to at least 3", then 2.75" and 2.5" and see what it does. A 4 blade prop will help with holeshot but will lose some on top end speed, negligible imho. If you do get your hands on a 4 blade (24"?), they like to run high. My 24" trophy on a 2000 TR186, yammie ox66 150hp, 6" JP, rides 2.25" below pad.

Adding a holeshot plate and moving it up are the two cheapest things you can do to see how it runs.

As for removing plugs, that will cause the prop to "slip" in the water, might not work unless you have to much "grip" and loading the motor which I don't think that's your issue. As others have mentioned, try to move weight out from the back and get better balance if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast