RT 188 auto bilge pump??

Does it work with main breaker off? Bilge switch does not.
    Leaving boat in water over night for first time. Kinda nervous about it.
    Semper Fi

2. Member
    If you’re positive it is an auto bilge, it should be wired straight to the battery, and will work with the breaker off.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Why turn your main breaker off?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Banned
    Auto switch is wired directly to the battery

5. Member
    Thanks guys. Looking at wire diagram looks like it goes through breaker.
    Semper Fi

6. Member
    I had read somewhere, probably on this forum, to turn your main breaker off when you charge your batteries. Apparently, some trolling motors have been "fried" during the charging cycle. Turning off this breaker while charging is supposed to keep that from happening.
    Also, should you inadvertently bump a switch(bilge, light, livewell) as you're putting the boat cover on, putting it up for the night, you won't run down your battery.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mobasspro View Post
    I had read somewhere, probably on this forum, to turn your main breaker off when you charge your batteries. Apparently, some trolling motors have been "fried" during the charging cycle. Turning off this breaker while charging is supposed to keep that from happening.
    Also, should you inadvertently bump a switch(bilge, light, livewell) as you're putting the boat cover on, putting it up for the night, you won't run down your battery.
    Minn Kota recommends their electric steer motors are disconnected from the power source during charging. Your main battery and TM batteries are 2 different circuits. Therefore, you would/should have 2 separate battery disconnects.

As far as a battery disconnect, it's a good idea but not a necessity. Modern outboard motors have a parasitic drain of the battery during storage, as does the stereo. The auto bilge will not run the battery down unless the bilge pump is running.

My autobilge has a float switch that I can trigger with my finger. I test it regularly. You may be able verify functionality that way, or just dump some water in your bilge.