Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Are Jerseys cool?

Simms Solarflex

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    I’ve worn cotton short sleeved shirts and the sun shirts, one trick I like to use on a hot sunny day is to pour water over the upper portion of my shirt, the evaporative cooling effect works well with the sun shirt material but the cotton shirts hold the water much longer.......
    I did the same until they cut out a strip of bacon from my back due to skin cancer .. cotton offers virtually zero block from UV .. I’ve never been a walk around with my shirt off kinda guy.. UV went right through what I was wearing

Now with the added advantage of staying cool it’s an easy choice for me

4. Member
    I think my cool shirts are the best out of all the different ones I have.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    I don’t hit the lake or work most days without one ... blazing sun today and I had on my jet black tackle warehouse long sleeve .. cool as could be

They can take a little time for your nipples to get used to lol
    I thought I was the only one with sensitive nipples!

Love my HUK shirts but I’d like to slender less than $45/shirt. Beals in store brand does really well but the one I have is white and somehow it gets pretty nasty during the day. Who buys a white fishing shirt??

I always laughed at the guys wearing long sleeves until I tried them this summer. We had a string of 100 degree days with NO clouds and they helped me a lot!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Simm’s over the rest!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I have a blue Haynes X Temp long sleeve that fits me pretty good and always thought of it as a winter or cold weather shirt. Caring more about skin cancer I decided to wear it the other day and it was not too bad. Granted it was on a windy day in with temps in the nineties. Now I want more long sleeve shirts. Jerry mentioned cotton offer virtually no UV protection :(... That’s a shame because these Haynes X Temp shirts feel comfortable. I did not feel a sun burn but I definitely felt the little itchy skin bumps I get when I am exposed to a lot of sun on my arms. I’m a natural toe head by birth so I’m very light completed and burn easy like a lobster. I won’t wear and despise the oily greasy feel of sun screen lotions and sprays. So started getting the face covers and now long sleeve shirts. Going to have too look at the Simms now.

I am also interested in the gloves as mentioned as well as face/neck/ear shields.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    I think my cool shirts are the best out of all the different ones I have.
    My bad. The ones I think are the best I have are, SmartCool shirts. Not cool shirts.

9. Member
    Wind makes a big difference. LS is much cooler feeling than SS if there is any wind. If no wind I think SS with sunscreen on my arms is better.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The wind definitely helps! My problem here in Florida is that I can put sunscreen on every 30 min and I still bake like a lobster. I’ll even wear my hooded HUK shirts so my neck doesn’t turn to leather.

I dont know when SPF just becomes a number but I’m using 50 now and it doesn’t do much in our sun.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Simms is the best, imo

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nowakezone View Post
    Simms is the best, imo
    AFTCO is the best! LOL jk

I dont think ill ever try one just cuz I have so many of the aftco ones now, but I wanted to try simms. I can say for sure aftco material is lighter than all the under armour, columbia and huk stuff i own. I pretty muched fish with the long sleeve PFG stuff every time I was out and really liked it. Tried one of the aftcos and man was it the truth! I was really surprised how light it was...prolly gonna give their polos a try instead of under armour to see if those are just as good.

I dont think you are making a mistake regardless of the brand. Skin cancer is no joke now that we know how serious it can be nowadays. In the past ignorance was bliss...but with healthcare costs ill take some aftco stuff over a doctors office any day, and twice on Tuesday.

No better value than the Habit brand button done, or hooded shirts at Sam’s Club. I’ve got Columbia, Simms, Aftco, and a few of the form fitting long sleeves. The Habits perform just as well as shirts costing 2-4 times as much.
    If you want to spend more, go with Aftco. Their quality in shirts and shorts are hard to beat.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I was thinking about the 100% cotton again and thinking about welding and a lot of welding garments are made out of cotton to protect you from the welding harmful UV rays as well as prevent you from catching on fire. So I’m not so sure that cotton is not a good thing when it comes to fishing. Possibly if the shirts are not thick enough I could see it being an issue. Any one else have any thoughts on the 100% cotton shirts?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

As you know cotton is good around fire, but for fishing or any hot weather activities, once they get sweated wet, they take along time to dry.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I was thinking about the 100% cotton again and thinking about welding and a lot of welding garments are made out of cotton to protect you from the welding harmful UV rays as well as prevent you from catching on fire. So I’m not so sure that cotton is not a good thing when it comes to fishing. Possibly if the shirts are not thick enough I could see it being an issue. Any one else have any thoughts on the 100% cotton shirts?
    yeah they suck for hot weather

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Cotton does take forever to dry! I wear a an undershirt everyday and the cotton T-shirt does a great job of soaking up the sweat but it surely doesn’t keep me cool!

Im gonna have to check out Sam’s club RazorCat!

18. Member
    I wear under armour and huk shirts. They keep me pretty cool. Only one that is a littel warm is the hooded cool shirt I have from under armour.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    No better value than the Habit brand button done, or hooded shirts at Sam’s Club. I’ve got Columbia, Simms, Aftco, and a few of the form fitting long sleeves. The Habits perform just as well as shirts costing 2-4 times as much.
    If you want to spend more, go with Aftco. Their quality in shirts and shorts are hard to beat.
    I have to disagree on the Habitat shirts. Sam’s changes the brand they carry every few years and I always try them. I have a LS Habitat that I got last year. I won’t wear it if it is a really hot day.

Not my least favorite shirt but not the best either.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

20. Member
    Has anyone tried the Blackfish Gear shirts? The seem a little heavy compared to Simms and the inside is more like checkered ridges, which is supposed to help move sweat away better, hence cooler. Not sure how the raised checkered texture would feel. Any experience good or bad out there?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast