Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Braid to fluoro knot catching on stripper

Never had this happen before but fishing a uni to uni with 10lb fluoro on a new rod, I am finding that every once in while the knot is getting caught on the stripper guide when I cast where the ring meets the frame. It is a pretty nasty experience and when I lost a big smallie at the knot, I figured it is weakening the knot. Any insight into what is happening? I am trimming the ends down pretty close.
    Last edited by johnnybass; 06-22-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Like it’s catching in a gap on the guide? Or it’s just catching on the guide in general?

If the latter, tie the leader either shorter or longer. Assuming a spinning rod, longer is probably the ticket. I like mine 10-12 feet. That way the knot is usually in the reel or at least well into the guides by the time I get a fish close.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I use a long leader too and it is odd because the the knot is catching in the "V" between the outside of the ring and the frame. I think as it is is spinning off the reel in big loops, the knot is wedging in the "V". Really odd as it happens only every 10 to 20 casts and I have never had this happen before. The rod is a Abu Fantasista and I don't know exactly the guides that are on it..

I have had a groove get worn into the insert on rod tips a couple of times, very small grooves and hard to see, but if you rub your line back and forth across the insert you can feel it catch. Line will get down in those grooves and fray, it might effect a braid to floro knot I suppose.

5. Member
    Maybe try a slimmer knot like an alberto or FG?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan grulke View Post
    Maybe try a slimmer knot like an alberto or FG?
    Never really had luck with either of those knots but maybe time to practice them.

Talked to a buddy that had same thing happen. He says it is the micro guide- the stripper is too small for the size reel that I am using (2500) and the line is looping over the side of the guide. Seems to make sense.

7. Banned
    Wish they would leave the big guides on spinning rods

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Wish they would leave the big guides on spinning rods
    Me too.

9. Member
    I would say the FG knot is definitely worth the time it takes to learn... with practice you can tie it pretty quickly on the boat too. It's the smallest and strongest way to tie leader to main line. There are a few pretty good instructional videos on youtube too.

10. Member
    With the FG knot, would the braid be the part that is "weaved" into the loop, or the loop part?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Weave the braid.

Take a q-tip to your guides to make sure there is nothing wrong with them. The q-tip has shown me plenty of bad eyes I’ve had in the past. I agree though, a 2500 isn’t a large reel, they eyes shouldn’t be that small on a spinning rig.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Uni to uni weakens over time from hitting the guides. I had the same issue one too many times and switched over to a the alberto knot, haven't had this issue. Just make sure your alberto knot is 100% right.

Nobody has any stripper jokes for this thread? C'mon, this is BBC!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Never had this happen before but fishing a uni to uni with 10lb fluoro on a new rod, I am finding that every once in while the knot is getting caught on the stripper guide when I cast where the ring meets the frame. It is a pretty nasty experience and when I lost a big smallie at the knot, I figured it is weakening the knot. Any insight into what is happening? I am trimming the ends down pretty close.
    Hello! I fish Lake Michigan alot sir. I went through this a few years ago. Im a firm believer that micro guides are to small for braid to floro combination. I was using alot of st croix models and was having trouble. One day a picked up my sons Dobyns and casted way farther and better and no issues with knots. Just recently i Picked up a McSmalls from ALX. Very impressed with it. Talk to Alex and hes very aware of this issue as well. Good luck and tightlines!!

15. Member
    I read a thread on drop shot and someone posted a Brent Ehrler video. He mentions on the video that he only uses a 7 ft leader which is contrary to everything that I have heard. He says that the fluoro springs off the reel and whips the braid out to wide loops that wrap around the stripper! He makes sure that the leader knot is between his finger and stripper when he casts. That makes a lot of sense. I hate to go with a shorter leader. I like a lot of the heavier fluoro out and I like the knot on the reel when the fish is fighting hard by the boat but I think I will go to the shorter leader.

Here is the thread/video: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=998303
    Last edited by johnnybass; 08-01-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I read a thread on drop shot and someone posted a Brent Ehrler video. He mentions on the video that he only uses a 7 ft leader which is contrary to everything that I have heard. He says that the fluoro springs off the reel and whips the braid out to wide loops that wrap around the stripper! He makes sure that the leader knot is between his finger and stripper when he casts. That makes a lot of sense. I hate to go with a shorter leader. I like a lot of the heavier fluoro out and I like the knot on the reel when the fish is fighting hard by the boat but I think I will go to the shorter leader.

Here is the thread/video: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=998303
    In other videos he demonstrates using two "wing spans" worth (he shows it, doesn't actually say it). For an average guy, that's close to 12 feet.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

17. Member
    Why knot go all floro? Any knot will hurt performance. I don't do leaders anymore. The bass don't seem to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeltee View Post
    Why knot go all floro? Any knot will hurt performance. I don't do leaders anymore. The bass don't seem to mind.
    Because having fluoro spooled up on a spinning reel turns nightmarish quickly, particularly with a drop shot that will twist your line up. Leaders are also a LOT more economical. I fish a drop shot and other finesse techniques quite a lot. Spool up with braid which will last a couple years minimum (removing and reversing if it gets worn), then a spool of 7 lb Sniper can last a couple years as well, even replacing long leaders regularly.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

19. Member
    When you all say long leaders, in general if it's possible to generalize, what are we talking about? 10ft, 20ft?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    When you all say long leaders, in general if it's possible to generalize, what are we talking about? 10ft, 20ft?
    I usually run a 15ish foot leader. Any longer than that and line twist becomes an issue, shorter than that and I start having to retie leaders after retying 2 times if I'm running the weight 18 inches or more below the hook (which I commonly do in the summer) and end up fighting fish next to the boat with the leader knot in my guides. On that last point, even though I haven't broken a leader knot in probably 2 years, I'd *personally* rather have it on the reel when I've got a fish next to the boat, just in case. There's always a chance that a fish surges and that knot catches. With a longer leader, line sort of "jumps" off the spool when dropping to a fish as well if that's something you ever do.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast