Chrome Wheel Rust Cleaning?

Is it a losing battle? Fixing up my dad’s boat after he passed earlier this year. Rusty chrome wheels just makes it look bad. Had some mother’s wheel cleaner it worked some, might be to far gone to clean?

Depends on how bad. Replace or Rechrome if pitted other wise you be wiping on them weekly.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    I had the same issue, when the trailer wasn’t in use I put some grease on them to keep the rust off. But now I’ve sanded them down and stayed them rattle can wheel paint from the auto parts store. I picked a dark silver color. They look really good and seem to be holding up well.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

Steel wool works best on chrome and glass, most retailers sell that you want, Brillo-pad’s & SOS pad’s, or something similar.
    1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI (S/N OG680217)
    Tempest A45 25P (no jackplate)

Quote Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
    Steel wool works best on chrome and glass, most retailers sell that you want, Brillo-pad’s & SOS pad’s, or something similar.
    Please, Please don't use steel wool on anything chrome!

Yes, it will remove the rust stains and scratch the crap out of the chrome.

If your chrome has rusted it's already to late. I can try to control it but you'll have to be on it from here on.

Chrome polish will remove the rust stains and help prevent them from returning but they will. Like I already said if the chrome is rusted it's already to late. Just the way it is.

Chrome Plating: Is a great thing. But does require a little care. It doesn't take much but it does.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

The wheels are rusted (already), clean them with steel wool to make them look nice again, or?, Replace them, I don’t think there is a worthwhile option between the two. It’s chrome wheels on a boat trailer, lol
    1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI (S/N OG680217)
    Tempest A45 25P (no jackplate)

7. Member
    grab a bottle of coca cola and a small wire detail brush from somewhere like autozone. pour coke in a plastic bowl, swish brush around in it, and get to scrubbing. i had the same problem, rusty wheels. saw this trick on youtube, i kid you not, it works, just requires the elbow grease.