Thread: VIETNAM WALL

VIETNAM WALL

I left Vietnam in May of 1968. Last week finally went to DC and our wall.

Tough trip but I would encourage those who haven't been to go.

2. Member
    It is very impressive. I have two high school friends with names on that wall. While it is outstanding at anytime, being in D.C. On Veterans Day weekend is so so poignant and spiritual. They read the names and ring a bell until all names are called. One of the more impressive patriotic displays that you will see.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

3. Member
    I have had the traveling wall near me several times during my lifetime, and finally last year went and saw it and looked up the names of my fallen brothers and glad I finally made myself see it. Hard to do sometimes. Semper Fi.

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I just can't do it.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    I've seen the portable wall but plan on going up to see the real one when I retire later this year. Here is a great song about the wall.

6. Member
    Thanks. A few years ago I was at a Veterans Day event when there was a dedication for those that had fallen in service to our country. I stood there and saluted with my left hand when a younger vet. told me I was saluting incorrectly. I told him, sorry you are wrong. I salute with my left hand for those who have passed on and I salute with my right hand for those that are still among the living. He changed which hands he was saluting with within and second and said thanks.

Welcome Home ( Warrior Hug )

8. Member
    A law was passed in Congress allowing the hand salute even if not in uniform or retired if you are a vet. I have been to the wall. It will choke you up. Just a slash of marble in a hillside.

9. Member
    I went a few years ago. Found all 43 names. I can still see their faces and hear their voices. Was a tough night but got better with time.
    We need to never forget!

10. Member
    The Wall whether the traveling or permanent is a powerful reminder of another time. Many of my classmates never made it back alive. The ones that did had many emotional and physical problems. Even today many are suffering from agent orange.

All of the veterans are in my daily prayers.

1966 to 1968

John

11. Member
    As the OP of this thread I want to thank all who have viewed or made a comment. a special thanks to Chopper for posting the Video/Song.

12. Member
    My dad served from 60-62, I served 86-90, then 97-2013 when I retired. I have many friends from the Vietnam generation. I also have many friends and fellow soldiers from this current "post 9-11" generation, and many of them have 5 or more deployments to the middle east. The emotional and physical trauma can sometimes be seen, and many times it cannot be seen. We combat veterans have a special bond that none of us can really explain, and don't need to explain.

Thanks to everyone who served, and still serves! Thanks to those who never served, but supported us. Always remember that "All gave some, and some gave ALL"!

13. Member
    I'm with bassman81. I can't do it. I saw the traveling wall once but broke out in tears when I read the roster and saw a friend there. I walked away knowing I could never visit it again.

I got out after 2 tours running the Seals up and down the river. Too many fire fights, luckily never hit. But lost a lot of friends. Got out March of 69, had many issues, VA was no help until 2007. Now 90% disabled. It took me 30 years to get up the "Courage" to visit the Wall, tough, but glad I did. I went at night, I wanted to be there as alone, just me and the Wall. Luckily I was. The Wife went with me, but gave me space. I spent over an Hour, mostly finding a name and shedding many tears. To some it's just a Wall with names on it, but to We who lived it, it's a whole lot more. I thank each and every one who served in this horrible event. As they say "All gave some, and some gave All". To my lost Family and Friends, you will always be in my mind and in my Heart. Amen
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I'm with bassman81. I can't do it. I saw the traveling wall once but broke out in tears when I read the roster and saw a friend there. I walked away knowing I could never visit it again.
    same here