Fuel Injector Circuit Fault

1. 2B013378
    2. 2013/Mercury/Pro XS

Right after start up I get a fuel injector circuit 5 fault but I ever see it again after my first run. The fault states “The output signal from the ECU to the device is open circuit or has too much resistance”. Is this a wiring issue I need to look into, and do I need to put the boat back on the trailer or is it ok to run? Any suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

- Navarrefisher

2. Member
    Its not okay to run it. Check the wiring harness.

3. Member
    Could this be caused by a dirty plug? I just pulled the 5th plug and it needs replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Navarrefisher View Post
    Could this be caused by a dirty plug? I just pulled the 5th plug and it needs replacing.
    No...….Be sure the all 12 injectors are plugged in all the way, ohm test both injectors on the cylinder in question and use a noid light to check for injector pulse on the harness
    Don't take it out till this is repaired
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navarrefisher View Post
    No but it could be why #5 plug is so dirty.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Ohm tested and all sat at 2.4. Should I try cleaning the injector in question?

EDIT: Pulled the injectors and clean as well as I could. Put it all back together and started the motor, no fault on 5 but got it on 3 now...
    Last edited by Navarrefisher; 06-23-2019 at 03:45 PM.

7. Member
    You need to inspect and test the wiring harness.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fault is NOT caused by a dirty injector. It is caused by an OPEN CIRCUIT or a HIGH-RESISTANCE connection between the PCM and injector.

Often simply a dirty connection at the injector- SOMETIMES due to a broken wire or pin at the injector.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor