Harry and I went to Shell Knob.... 6-20-19

I told Harry if we wanted to get in on the top water bite we needed to leave town by 4:15 am. I got to his house at 10 til 4 but I didn't see any lights come on until about 10 after. It was quarter til 5 before we headed to the lake and we hit a fog bank about 3 miles south of Aurora. Needless to say, we missed the top water bite as it was well past 6 before we launched at Campbell Point. The air temp was low 70's and the water temp was right at 80*. It was dead calm until the fog burned off about 9:30. We never really put a pattern together. We found them at about 16 to 20' deep right on the bottom. The ned rig caught a few but our best bait was a hula grub stitched along the bottom. We caught smallies, kentuckies, and largemouth. We didn't slay 'em but we had fun. Can't wait til Monday so I can go again.....

When we first got there it was completely socked in with fog. Navigation was impossible.

Finally, about 8:30 or so the fog started breaking up a little.....

When the fog finally lifted it was an absolutely glorious day.....

I have pictures of many buddies with their boats taken at this same spot. Our favorite lunch break table at Big Bay....

Harry standing by his Ranger he bought off Craig's List.....He did good.

We didn't catch any monsters, but the dinkers kept us entertained.

If a hula grub or a ned rig won't catch 'em you just as well go home.

This little smallie got me wrapped around a tree. If I pulled I could make no headway with him at all. If I eased back on the pressure I was putting on him, he would take off and pull drag. I eased back just a little and he swam out toward me. With a few quick turn of the reel I was able to catch up with him and swung him into the boat. When I reached down to pick him up I noticed an old 6" Electric Blue salty craw stuck in his mouth by a 4/0 worm hook. Somehow him managed to eat my grub around it. As I worked the old worm hook out of his face he swallowed my grub past his crushers. I had to just cut the line and let him have it. He was a tough little guy....epic battle. Love it.
    Last edited by luvdmymerc; 06-22-2019 at 11:15 AM.

2. Member
    Great report !!