Cumberland Storms Lastnight

Buddy called & said he had to tie up at courtesy dock at Fall Creek lastnight. Said the storms put his boat on the backside of the courtesy dock & into the rock wall. Said it ripped his rub rail out, busted fiberglass, tore off his headlights, chipped gel on bottom of hull pretty bad & pretty much shredded his keel guard too. Said his motor has a popping sound now & that he had to idle back to Cumberland point. Also said it partially sunk three more. Sounds like it got pretty rough pretty quick down below Fall Creek according to him.

2. Member
    Wow!! Glad he’s ok.

3. Member
    Ruff place to tie up- esp in a storm-exposed to wind / waves big time- every scratch on a boat I had 10 years ago was due to tying up on that then going after my truck. Glad he’s ok as well

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    Ruff place to tie up- esp in a storm-exposed to wind / waves big time- every scratch on a boat I had 10 years ago was due to tying up on that then going after my truck. Glad he’s ok as well
    Yes it is wide open as far as wind there for sure. I've had one heck of a time loading there a couple times myself.

When an approaching storm with heavy winds is beginning to hit, trying to come in and load up, or tying up to a dock in the wind are the worst things to do. Find a protected cove or along side at a safe distance and under the protection of a bluff that the wind is coming directly over, and ride out the storm. Usually within 5 minutes the leading of the storm with the heaviest wind has moved through.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    When an approaching storm with heavy winds is beginning to hit, trying to come in and load up, or tying up to a dock in the wind are the worst things to do. Find a protected cove or along side at a safe distance and under the protection of a bluff that the wind is coming directly over, and ride out the storm. Usually within 5 minutes the leading of the storm with the heaviest wind has moved through.
    Yep been there done that once in Herrington.