Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

522D won't turn over periodically

Hey guys this is my 5th trip out in my 18 522D with 250 pro xs. Today on 3 occasions I went to start the boat and I get the beep after putting in the code and then try to start it and nothing. I have owned multiple rangers and have never had this. Tried everything and still nothing. Took 5 to 10 min each time before it would turn over and start and then work as it should for 5-6 times . Few hours later the same thing... Any idea ?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Have you tried the jump start switch? Might be a battery issue. And yes, I know that your battery isn’t that old, but there is no set time when a dead short might appear, or similar.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Do you have the interstate 31AGM crank battery?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Do you have the interstate 31AGM crank battery?
    Yes 31 agm battery . Now half way through the day I'm getting a battery alarm . Voltage is at 10 while running and losing 3k rpm.wondering if my alternator is bad

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Voltage at 10 can’t be good for the engine’s electronic components. Get it checked out before your repair bill gets higher.

Quote Originally Posted by bustingbass View Post
    Yes 31 agm battery . Now half way through the day I'm getting a battery alarm . Voltage is at 10 while running and losing 3k rpm.wondering if my alternator is bad
    If you are answering yes to the "INTERSTATE 31AGM" I Highly doubt anything is wrong with your alternator. That battery has performed poorly in many many boats . I'd bet dollars to donuts if you installed a quality 31 AGM such as oddesy PCM2150 or X2 from batteries and bulbs...your problem would go away.

7. Member
    Why would my system not charge back up when the motor is running ? Called my dealer and he thinks it's the fusible link . Will a load test let me know if the battery is pooched ?

8. Member
    Is your motor the new 250proxs 4stroke? if so you will want to see if the serial # has a recall.

Those batteries can test good and still not last through the day.

10. Member
    Found the issue. Ground not hooked up from the alternator and block. They obviously didn't hook this up when the power head was installed 2 hours ago

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    This is your 5th trip out and the power head has already been replaced? Thinking back to the start of this thread, I guess I’m not surprised at the outcome. These engines aren’t perfect from the factory, but one of our first thoughts when something quits working ought to be, “what has changed?” Anyhow, very glad for your sake that the mystery has been solved. Better days ahead.

12. Member
    I bought the boat used . It was 9 months old .new factory power head was put on when I bought it but didn't have any hours on it. Cabela's replaced the power head I guess and did a number on it. Wrong oil clamp caused the system to suck air and strand me the first trip. Next trip stranded because they didn't put the seals between the power head and injectors. Now this ... Unbelievable

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good dealers make problems smooth sailing. Bad dealers make good products look like junk.