Ultrex broke my 360

So I had a steering cable snap on my ultrex last week and it decided to do about 3 complete laps all the way around as fast as it would go. Once I turned it off and got off the bank I saw that all my units said "lost 360 source.".
    My cables are just ran through the ultrex coils, not tied to them with a decent sized slack loop then zipped to the pedal cable. Under normal range of motion there's plenty of slack at full turn. But I'd have to imagine being through the coiled cable when the head spun 3 times it pulled the 360 cables too.

Got the ultrex fixed and the 360 still isn't working. Connections are good and Ive got voltage in the plug. I don't see any physical damage on the wires and it doesn't look like they've been pulled loose from the head but something is for sure broken.

I'm about 3 months out of warrany, what do you think the chances of humminbird repairing this without having to pay the service fee?

2. Member
    I would guess not good but I have heard of those things happening. Good luck

why not just wire from the steering cables to the 360? this could never have happened if done this way?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    why not just wire from the steering cables to the 360? this could never have happened if done this way?
    The foot pedal with cables is the limit of the rotation. If a cable breaks, you loose that rotation limit. The LINK Ethernet cable and transducer cable can be broken also.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Banned
    I agree. The way mine is rigged it never touches the trolling motor shaft or any part of the coils.

6. Member
    So I'm supposed to plan for the head of my ultrex to spin around 3 times as fast as it will go? I just followed the routing of the factory installed DI transducer which went through the coils. The only thing that saved it was it has extra slack down low to keep the cable off the foot and reduce interference.
    Hasn't been a problem for hundreds of hours of use over the last year plus and wouldn't have been an issue has the cable not broke in such a way the steering solenoid was being pulled left

7. Member
    Are you beyond the 3yr MK warranty coverage? I may be wrong but thought they had come out with different heavier steering cables (retrofit) from the earlier model TMs. If you're near an ASC may want to confirm or contact Mr. Jones in the TM forum. I have one of the earlier models and was told by a local ASC that I could just bring boat by and wouldn't take long to replace which I haven't done yet. I know that doesn't help current problem but may prevent future problems.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow