115 e tech takes many tries to start ( 06 year I think)

mod. E115DSLSCR, SER. 05212893
    When first starting this motor, it takes between 12 to 15 times before it will stay running. After approx. 1 spin of motor, starter drive drops out and starter spins. After initial start in morning, motor cranks up every time on first try. I've been told that the motor tries to start and therefore the starter drops out. I can't here this happening. The fuel bulb used to stay firm between trips and I never had to pump it up. Now it is soft and takes awhile to pump up. I have tried leaving key on till fuel pump quits pumping then pump up primer bulb, this does not seem to help. I have an inline spin on fuel filter which I have bypass to try to solve problem. This did not help. The weird thing is if I use the muffs in the driveway it usually starts and stays running. Evinrude mechanic has run scans and says everything in limits, so he carboned the engind twice with no change, Please help. This is very frustrating.
    Thanks
    Mark

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    What is your tilt/trim position when you are trying to start it at the lake? There is obviously less exhaust pressure when starting on muffs in the driveway. Maybe tilting it higher during cold starts at the lake would help. However, soft primer bulb that won’t stay firm is another bad sign. I’m assuming you’ve replaced the fuel lines and etc.? Next step might be to have your mechanic do “live” fuel flow test. I don’t know the exact mechanics of your engine, but I had a 2014 Evinrude that would flatten the primer bulb, and the problem turned out to be a fuel lift pump. It would pull fuel fine at speeds greater than idle, but starting or very low speed it literally would run out of gas...wouldn’t pull fuel well enough to keep the system primed.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. What does the fuel lift pump do? In the past, on 2 occasions my boat would shut down to an idle (like it ran out of gas) when running full speed. I have replaced the fuel line, bulb, & pickup tube.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Lift pump pulls fuel out of the tank. If yours shut off at full speed, you have a different problem than I had. Possibly an injector [or more than one].
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Have the tech update the software if it hasn't been done. There are also things like changing the starter cable location and a few other things that were service bulletins or service publications back then. Tilt the motor up so the exhaust from the prop is just out of the water and see if it starts quicker, and lower the motor down quickly. If so, there was something about the muffler but I do not remember at the moment. A sharp factory trained tech will go through the bulletins and use BossWeb to see what all has to be done.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Member
    Thanks, I have also checked all starter connections and replaced starter and solenoid. I am going to try a different shop soon.