Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Little skip. Am I being paranoid?

Guys. Please take a look at the video and lmk what you think. 2015 150 proxs. 110hrs. New plugs. Filters. Tstats. Running fuel treatment they her now. She runs fine just seems to have a little skip. She just doesn't seem right. Lmk what u think please. Thanks.

Just noticed my wp is a little low too. Need to rebuild wp.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good start. Also check to make sure you used the RIGHT spark plugs, and the RIGHT spark plug gap (then torqued plugs to 20 lbs/ft with a torque wrench).

Also check for fractured plugs (VERY easy to do when gapping).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

yeah i double checked proper plugs and gap.Hard to gap the iridium without damaging them but im pretty confident they are within tolerance .042-.044. This might be like finding a needle in a haystack. lol

Ran her again today for a few hrs. I'm just being paranoid. She is running fine. I think I might have gotten some bad gas. Little less than a qtr tank and i will try to get some good stuff in her. Din thanks again for the super fast response. Time to get ready for water pump change out.

Are you running the cocktail and 87 octane fuel as well as DFI oil and premium plus added to the gas? If not start doing so now and see if it improves
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Leon is referring to this topic in the FAQ - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

So I replaced fuel filter and sensor and added Don's cocktail but she is running ningbo worse now than ever. Hard to get it to crank and when it does it is revving high around 1000rpms. Almost like a hi-rev choke. I can tap the hot foot and it will come down to 500-600 rpms an so.etimes it will idle ok. Others it just dies. When in gear it idles fine. Runs fine coming out of hole and no loss of power at higher rpms. Just run a like a turd at idle in neutral. Any thoughts?

Don't rev it in neutral, check the throttle cable and hot foot adjustments. Fuel and air pressures tests, check the tracker valve
    You will need to runs a couple of tanks of fuel with the cocktail in it before it can do its job. Needs it every tank of fuel
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I checked my plugs again. My thinking is if it was ok before plugs than it has to be something with them. I checked gap again and found 3 that were not within tolerance One was .041 and two were past .042 Hope to run it again soon and see if that might have been it. If not Im thinking tracker valve. Thanks for the heads up about not revving in neutral.

11. Member
    hi rev at start up can indicate fuel in air , possible tracker diaphragm faulty
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

This is identical to the symptoms I am having. My engine sounds and acts exactly like that.

13. Member
    need fuel psi test to verify
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

ok let me see if i can get that info.Thanks

15. Member
    that's lil more than a skip , skip

well it started as a skip as indicated in first video (that is my engine) It has tuned into what the engine is doing in the second video. I changed my t-stats and in doing so had to unbolt and slide back fuel rails to access t-stats. I caught myself being extra careful in the process but I cant help but think maybe something didnt align back right.

IDK i think im just gonna take to local Mercury mechanic here close by. I dont have the gauges to check and honestly dont feel comfortable messing around the fuel rail too much without having a knowledgeable drinking buddy to fall back on. lol.

18. Member
    smart man indeed

So I got a friend of mine who worked on mercurys for a few years to come and listen. We didn't have gauges to check fuel and pressure but we figured might as well check the tracker valve (he said he has replaced a few of them) this is what we found. This is the Stbd tracker valve. What do you guys think? It is deff. tathered and torn but not completely through best i can tell.

20190701_152432.jpg
    20190701_152438.jpg

20. Member
    Needs to be replaced, do so, then report back with results.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast