XR6 leaking oil from bilge reservoir

Motor: 2003 XR6 150
    Serial number is: 0T702142

I'm not certain exactly where the leak is, but it appears to be leaking from the cap (the fill cap, not where the pickup is attached). I say this because I am seeing oil on top of the cap. It leaks whether the motor is running or not (I filled the tank to the brim, then checked the level after trailering to the lake and observed it had a lower level, oil on top of the cap, and oil in the bottom of the bilge). There is the accompanying symptom of a low oil alarm after running the boat for a while, but I think that is related to the leak as the system must be losing enough pressure to prevent it from keeping the engine mounted reservoir full.

Questions are...
    - Is there some other way for it to leak and show the same results? I just want to be sure I don't need professional help with it.
    - Do I have to replace the entire reservoir, or can I just replace the cap? Or is there some o-ring that was once in the cap that can be replaced? Or the cap itself?

Thanks!
    Clint

2. Member
    Which tank did you fill to the brim that is leaking, remote (in boat) or reservoir (on engine)?

If you filled the remote tank to the brim, there needs to be space at top of remote tank for crankcase pressure to pressurize the remote tank and push oil to engine reserve. General rule is to maintain remote tank level at no more than 80% and no less than 30%. Remove excess oil from remote tank, clean tank, then follow the link below to bleed air from reserve tank.

Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    INstead of chasing all the possible reasons this could be happinging, I got rid of the oil injection last month. Easy to do and never have to worry about anything failing
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

4. Member
    I had my oil tank on the motor leaking last year and found that the cap with the wires going thru it was actually cracked. I replaced the whole cap wires and all.