Aftermarket Props for Minn Kota trolling motors. Good Idea? Recommendations ?

I am looking at other than Minnkota Trolling motors stock props, I have a transom mount I carry for small boats, I was looking at, but noticed they are available for all.
    Never used any but stock on my bassboat (Maxxum 80). Mr Jones what do you think?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’d ask what your goals are for said prop. The stock props are strong, fast, and the most weedless I’ve ever used....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zx175Bassman View Post
    I am looking at other than Minnkota Trolling motors stock props, I have a transom mount I carry for small boats, I was looking at, but noticed they are available for all.
    Never used any but stock on my bassboat (Maxxum 80). Mr Jones what do you think?
    MinnKota's position is that any after market prop would void the warranty on their trolling motors. This is not to have a monopoly on props, but their motors are not tested to perform with aftermarket props, and because of this, they don't want you to possibly mess up a trollingmotor. I tend to agree.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I’d ask what your goals are for said prop. The stock props are strong, fast, and the most weedless I’ve ever used....
    Agreed! I do file my leading edge a little bit on my stock prop - razor like edge will cut the vegetation pretty good
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    My stock MK props work well in weeds along with the Ninja Blade and no problems in reasonable current.....as above poster noted I will file the edges down sharp and keep a spare on the rig...

6. Member
    Had a discussion in my neighborhood
    1 Bassboat guy using a replacement prop called Apella says faster and more power.
    Two Kayak guys using MinnKota as main power looking for speed (sounds like bassboat guys) say pitch on Minnkota a 4 pitch. others more like 6. More rpms again sounds like outboard prop discussion.
    anyone use Apella ?
    Would it ware out motor faster?

7. Member
    I’ve heard several guys say that a Chipawa 3 blade is a bit faster than a MK stock prop and it is on my Fortrex 80 but not much. The Chipawa doesn’t seem to steer quite as easy to me.

8. Member
    I use a kipawa and it's better than the minnkota prop. WAY quieter and cuts weeds a lot better. Also had warranty work with it attached to the motor but I would take Jones advice on the warranty aspect and remove it before you take it in

9. Member
    I use a Kipowa prop and it has way more torque than a MK prop
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man