Leads over heating on charger

So i noticed that the fuse on the lead from my charger going to my 36v system was so hot that the wire was almost melting. When I inspected the fuse it was not blown but the glass was cloudy. I figured the fuse assembly was bad so I changed that out with a new one and it is still getting hot to the touch. The other lead going to the cranking battery is cold to the touch. Any ideas what is causing this?
    IMG_1904.jpgIMG_1906.jpg
    Phoenix 2021 721 ProXP
    250 V8 ProXS

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you have a single bank charging three batteries it will take a lot of power and get hot.

That charger is for one battery. How is it connected to the 36V system?
    Last edited by CatFan; 06-20-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Check for loose connections. I had one terminal connection get loose once and almost melted the insulation off of the cable.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    Check for loose connections. I had one terminal connection get loose once and almost melted the insulation off of the cable.
    Yep, and also check for "soft" spots in the wire. You could have internally frayed wire causing high resistance. If the wire got too hot at any point in time, it may be burnt or corroded internally. You might want to replace that whole section of wire.

5. Member
    Any time you have heat it is caused by resistance higher than zero. A fuse is designed to have a tiny bit of resistance, so it will get hot and burn open before the wires are damaged.
    From what you describe, you need a new fuse holder. There is a bad connection in the fuse holder, probably due to corrosion which increased the resistance, so it drops voltage there causing heat.

If you can get a blade fuse holder, instead of a cartridge fuse, they have better contacts.

Some fuse assemblies are designed to sense the current into the unit under charge and cannot be replaced by a "normal" fuse holder. If that's the case, I don't know what you should do.