3 Lowrance HDS Units connected on one of my 24V Trolling Motor Batteries...OK?

Do you see any issues to my 3 Lowrance HDS FishFinders if I wire them onto one of my deep cycle batteries that i have for my 24 volt Motorguide trolling motor? My 2 deep cycle batteries are run in series. And I do not want to buy any more batteries. And I want to take them off of my cranking battery. Is there anything I need to be aware of or watch out for. I will make sure each unit is on a separate fuse. Also would there be any interference issues?
    Thanks

2. Member
    Interference will be your problem. Make another plan. Bob

3. Member
    That will be an interference nightmare.

4. Member
    You can try it, but be careful you don't get 24 volts by mistake. You will probably get interference on your screen when the trolling motor is operated. Most times it's a bad idea.
    From the sound of things you're going to try it, let us know how it works out.

5. Member
    It is essential that you connect any 12 volt loads to the trolling battery that has its negative terminal connected to the negative of the trolling motor.

Only that battery can be used, connect nothing to the other battery.

That battery will be run down faster than the other so avoid getting too low and damaging it.

You can consider using the Trollbridge 12X24. http://www.yandina.com/troll12X24info.htm It will allow both trolling batteries to be used for your 12 volt loads because any time the trolling motor is not running, both trolling batteries are connected in parallel. It will also charge both batteries from the outboard alternator that will extend trolling time and battery life.

6. Member
    As stated above, make sure the accessories are connected to the battery that supplies negative to the trolling motor. You will get interference when the trolling motor is running. Basically, it isn't a good idea.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Not a good idea to run the HDS's off a TM battery. Besides issues pointed out above - the TM battery voltage will drop as you run the TM during fishing. The HDS's won't stay on when voltage drops too low.

Buy a bigger cranking battery to run everything off of in the boat except the TM if current cranking battery isn't up to the task. Also charge the cranking battery between trips to be sure it's fully charged before each fishing trip.

8. Member
    Well, I was going to try it, but I think I'm gonna keep everything on the cranking battery. I will just keep a jump starter in my boat just in case it gets too low to crank the big motor. I'm not sure my big motor charges my cranking battery any more. It's a 2000 Mercury EFI 175. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know if it still charges or not while running. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adventurejack View Post
    Well, I was going to try it, but I think I'm gonna keep everything on the cranking battery. I will just keep a jump starter in my boat just in case it gets too low to crank the big motor. I'm not sure my big motor charges my cranking battery any more. It's a 2000 Mercury EFI 175. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know if it still charges or not while running. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.
    A simple volt meter applied to the battery while fast idling the outboard will tell you if it's charging.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

NO !!! Not OK !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Don't need to be a mechanic, a simple voltmeter.
    Or add voltage overlay to your Lowrance graph, will tell you if the motor is charging or not.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Don't need to be a mechanic, a simple voltmeter.
    Or add voltage overlay to your Lowrance graph, will tell you if the motor is charging or not.
    Good cal...I'ii add voltage as overlay . thanks

13. Member
    If it's any help - I've run 2 and now 3 HDS's off my Group 24 size cranking battery for many years. I use a 3 bank battery charger with one bank dedicated to the cranking battery to keep it fully charged between trips.

You can also manage to some degree how much power the HDS's draw from the battery. Put the console unit(s) in Standby mode when fishing up front and using TM sonar. TM sonar in Standby when using console units. Turn off the HDS Lowrance logo lights.

Using the above I've never had any problems with crankin' my 150 ProV.
    Last edited by 184SuperV; 06-26-2019 at 11:19 AM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 184SuperV View Post
    If it's any help - I've run 2 and now 3 HDS's off my Group 24 size cranking battery for many years. I use a 3 bank battery charger with one bank dedicated to the cranking battery to keep it fully charged between trips.

You can also manage to some degree how much power the HDS's draw from the battery. Put the console unit(s) in Standby mode when fishing up front and using TM sonar. TM sonar in Standby when using console units. Turn off the HDS Lowrance logo lights.

Using the above I've never had any problems with crankin' my 150 ProV.
    Thanks for the advice. I actually took my boat out today and figured that out putting my console units on standby when I am at the bow.
    I also figured out that I have my Lss-2 hardwired directly to my battery (through a fuse box) and I think it is drawing current all the time so I think I need to put it on an on/off switch.