Talon spike question

Last time out for some reason decided to check power to my talons so put them down in the parking lot. Noticed that one spike was a straight taper, but the other had a bowling pin shape about a foot from the point? Is this a new feature? I called MK and they seemed clueless but reminded me that the spikes have lifetime warranties. He suggested taking it to a shop to be looked at either way.IMG_20190608_135226.jpg
    Last edited by cxp138; 06-20-2019 at 01:18 PM.

2. Member
    That is interesting. Are these new Talons? Mine are less than 2 years old and don't look like that.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

3. Member
    My new ones don't look like that.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    Both of my talons are about 2 years old. One was completely replaced last year under warranty. One of my talons is a straight tapered spike. I thought maybe this was an innovative new shape kind of like a spear into the ground???

5. Member
    Are you the second owner? This is not normal. It looks like it was sanded to that shape. I would replace it. If it snaps off in that taper it could jam it up. then you would have all new issues.

6. Member
    first owner...seems like to get it that symetric and smooth would have had to be done on a lathe. All the local MK service centers by me stopped servicing so going to have to make a close to 2hr trip for repair. Would be nice if the factory took a look at the photos and sent me a new one?

7. Member
    Update. First 2 service centers I called said they were 3 months out on looking at Talons?? Found one about 75 miles away that will take it. Hope to get it there within the next few weeks and will report back diagnosis. I'm kinda getting used to the aerodynamic spike...in my head it isn't a weak spot but actually digs in better